Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, June 27, 2005

EoMEoTE #8, Papas for Papa!

.

It's egg and toast time again (add this to Sunday night's sushi and IMBB?, we've been running through a lot of eggs!); until I'm instructed to quote Shakespeare or submit my entry in the form of a Gilbert & Sullivan tune...here we go.

A dish I created for Matt: Papas for 'Papa'.



Layered in an oven-proof bowl: thinly sliced blue potatoes (pre-cooked in the microwave), slices of Fontina, more potatoes, basil leaves, potatoes, prosciutto, still more potatoes, more basil, yes more potatoes, slices of mozzarella, and finally, another layer of potatoes.
Over this pour two eggs, beaten with about a half cup of evaporated milk. Top with a nice, thick slice of buttered French bread.
Bake, covered in foil, at 350 degrees, for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake another ten to fifteen minutes, till bread is nice and toasted (gotta work in that angle, you know).



Since I made it for Matt, and he's the who ate it, here he is with a review: With the potatoes, eggs, cheese, cured pork, and bread, it has the taste of a breakfast or comfort food. There are no particularly challenging flavors, but the basil is quite distinct and does help to distinguish it from something which might otherwise be pleasant but unremarkable.

9 Thoughts for food:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How neat and pretty.
Stephanie, blue potatoes look like eggplant slices. Have you ever tried eggplant with eggs?

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Stephanie!

The square platter is one we picked up somewhere in the Bay area...it's so long ago, I don't even remember where! Matt may, though...
The red plate is just one of many in my Fiestaware collection. I often want a vibrant backdrop for my pictures, since my camera's a piece of crap!

Thanks, Indira.

Truthfully? I hate eggplant. I mean...bleah. I've tried it so many ways, and I can't stand it.
Which is bad, as just about every establishment in the country assumes vegetarian=eggplant lover.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made frittata for the first time this weekend. I wanted to add eggplant slices as decoration on the top of frittata along with tomatoes, but at the last minute, not sure how they taste with eggs, I dropped the idea and didn't use the eggplant.
Just wanted to know your opinion, Steaphanie. and you don't even like eggplants. Ooops, sorry.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, no, Indira!

That's fine. I have an opinion about eggplant, and it's a pretty strong one. And my opinion is 'yuck'!

I did have a good eggplant dish once. When we dined in the restaurant at Dromoland Castle, I was given an eggplant caviar en croute.
I was wary, but figured: hey, this is a classy joint...I'd better eat it!

I'm so happy I did...it was wonderful. Of course, every single dish they served us was, hands down, the most fantastic thing I've ever eaten.

And I'm still trying to replicate that dish, but can't seem to get it right.

As for how they'd taste with eggs...I think they'd go well together. Eggplant can adapt fairly well, and it's often used in stratas and other egg-based dishes.

I apologize if I came down a bit harshly against the oval veggie; it's just not one I personally enjoy!

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I should've asked you that question with more details as prefix, my bad.
Geetha, one of my sisters, she also absolutely detest eggplant. Eggplant can evoke such strong emotions in people, I do understand.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Hey Stephanie!

That looks great - I especially like the terrine effect when you slice it - look at all those layers!! Never tried the blue potatoes but have been tempted... Thanks for reminding me of my own event... Announcement to go up shortly!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jeanne!

Well, you see...it's like this. I have no life. Nope. Nothing going on. Boring, boring.

Looking forward to food blogging events gives me something to do...probably why I'm always so early with my entries.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Matt says the plate came was from Sur la Table, on clearance.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh bugger, I can't believe I left you out!!! And I can't even say that I didn't see your entry because there's my comment!?! My mind is trying to do too many things at once and failing at some. Will rectify the situation right away. Pls forgive me??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker