Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My Quest for the Perfect Fried Chicken

.



I was going to use this for my IMBB? entry, but as I only found out about it two days before the deadline...it just wasn't worth the effort.

I don't exactly know why, but I am determined to find just the right fried chicken.

We never had fried chicken when I was young; my mom sent us down the straight-and-healthy path from the very beginning. No fried foods in our house.

But my friends? And grandparents? Fried was the word. I come from a town where funnel cakes are expected at all festivals and fairs...

Being a Catholic town (founded by German settlers seeking freedom from religious persecution), you can't throw a stick without hitting some bar or restaurant selling fish fries (and my devout grandmother who insists on having fish fries outside of Lent, as well. Each and every Friday.).

We even had a fried chicken place; Crispy Chicken. Being stuck in my 'eat an apple if you're hungry' family, I only once had a chance to try their fried chicken. I remember liking it, though...

And we don't fry a lot here, either. Not that I shun all fried foods; that's not the case. It's just such a hassle to do it. And I really hate the clean-up!

That said, I really am on the hunt for the perfect fried chicken. A week or so ago, I caught an episode of Tyler's Ultimate where he searched for the best fried chicken...and came up with three.

I copied all three, and started with this, the easiest. With all the raving Tyler did, you'd think would be the most incredible chicken experience of all time; guess again.

Boring. Not much flavor. I mean, you fry the chicken with onions...that should impact the flavor, right?

Nope.

So, this one down; two more to go.

12 Thoughts for food:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I remember watching that show! That's too bad it didn't come out with more flavor. Have fun with the next two - they look pretty good!

I also grew up in a place where funnel cakes ruled the local fairs. They are so darn good and so bad for you. It's hard to resist!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Joe.

I really expected good things; Tyler went on and on about it being the perfect fried chicken. What we actually got was 'bleah'.

I almost never got them, but since there's nothing to do in my hometown besides go to the festivals, you couldn't escape the smell of sweet, fried dough!

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That corn on the cob looks really good though!!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jeff!

I love your rose-colored glasses...

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

you should try Ayam goreng! Indonesian fried chicken, it is sooooooo good!
I will email you the recipe asap :)

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Look I hate to be a link tart but this recipe is really really good:
Kara-age Chicken

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Randi said...

there is an older thread on egullet regarding fried chicken and the different methods. worth a read.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Clare, thank you! I just know I won't be happy till I find a good one.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Anthony...no, please; link away!

And thank you...I don't think we've tried potato starch yet. Thank you for the recipe!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Randi! I will definitely give that a look...

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hi--

the secret is buttermilk

soak in buttermilk overnight in an airtight bowl in fridge

then place pieces in a paperbag that has flour, salt, pepper (maybe some garlic, paprika, or cayenne for kick)

leave in the bag, in the fridge, at LEAST 4 hours, longer is better -- shaking it up regularly

then deep fry (time according to pieces)

you'll find a thick and crunchy coating on the chicken and the buttermilk will have tenderized the meat.

** now i'm craving some **

good luck on your endeavor!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura, thank you so much!

I am definitely adding this to my pile of 'must try' fried chicken.

Keeping the chicken in the flour bag, in the fridge...that's a new one to me.

Thanks again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker