Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Skip to the loo, my darling

.



Because I'm on a mission to clear out the freezer, I needed to make a pie. Why? There was a store-bought pie crust taking up too much space.

Looking through my Easy to Bake, Easy to Make cards, I found a recipe for Classic Shoofly Pie.

Recipe lived up to it's claim...very easy to make.

Baking soda and hot water, molasses and dark corn syrup, egg and dark brown sugar. A crumb mixture of flour, dark brown sugar and butter. Topped with more of the crumb mixture.

Very PA, this recipe. Of course, I'm from the Western part of the state; you get this sort of dessert more often on the Eastern side...Amish, and all. Good people, those Amish.

Sweet, brown sugar-y; but not like biting into a lump of it. Matt had two pieces, so I guess it was good!

Just a couple of reminders: you'll want to get your EoMEoTE entries in...the deadline is this weekend!

Also, Blog Party#3---The Big Game Night is coming up soon (funny how quickly time flies), so start thinking about your entries.

12 Thoughts for food:

At 3:49 AM, Blogger Niki said...

When I read that title heading, I thought it would be a story about something you ate that rather upset your erm...intestinal tract, rendering you glued to the toilet seat for hours. Lol! :-)
It must be that the slang term 'loo' means something different in the US than Austrlia? ;-)

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That's so funny!

It's from an old song my Grammy used to sing "Flies in the buttermilk, shoo fly, shoo, flies in the buttermilk, shoo fly, shoo. Flies in the buttermilk, shoo fly, shoo...skip to the loo my darling."

I suppose I could have lead with the title of "Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy", but it would have been false representation as I hadn't even touched the apples!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Jeff also grew up in West PA (near the border to ohio - by Sharon) - too cool! The pie looks good, but I have to say i've never had Shoofly pie!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Joe...talk about a small world!

I'm actually from St. Marys, home of Straub Beer.

And I still haven't had shoo fly pie!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The song lyrics are actually "Skip to my Lou"

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yes, but as shown from the first comment? This is funnier...

And gee...thanks for coming by to make a correction, but hiding behind 'annonymous'. I always have such admiration for bullies and cowards...

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Niki said...

In Australia we grew up with the same song, but using the lyrics "Swing your partner, skip to my Lou, swing your partner, skip to my Lou, swing your....etc.etc. (ad nauseum), Skip to the Lou my darling!"
I think it being spelled 'Lou' down here is due to the toilet connection? ;-)
So now I know what Shoofly pie is. I've always wondered!!

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Straub beer! I remember that. Went to school at Slippery Rock University, and we used to get cases of Straub beer all the time :)

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Again...small world! I went to Slimy Pebble for one term...

Yes, we're the home of Straub Beer...with the eternal tap!

Did you get Greenies or Brownies?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki...I'm not actually sure of the spelling, so who knows?

I know the song has a few verses...that one may be part of my Grammy's song, too!

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greenies, always! :)

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeff...the folks back home would be proud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker