Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Celebration Bubbly

.



When I first started in radio, it was part-time, weekends. Really boring shifts, most of the time, although I did start doing a Saturday night, Classic Rock show that, well...rocked, if I do say so myself.

Sundays were killer, though; I'd finish up late Saturday night (we had both and FM and an AM, which meant lots of high school, college, and pro sports games), and have to be back before seven Sunday.

Ugh.

For the first few hours, it was all about getting pre-programmed shows (countdown programs, outdoor life, religious hour) set up, and on the air at the appropriate times, with a commercial tossed in now and then.

If I was completely sleep-deprived (and I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't), I'd often crash on a crappy old couch in the lobby, not quite falling into a deep sleep as I knew I had to dash to one or both studios in about twenty-five minutes.

Those few times I was awake enough to do anything, I'd browse through the cupboards and see what was kicking around.

One day, I found a large 'factoid' book; a sort of 'all the useless crap you'll ever not need to know' kind of thing.

It was a few years out-of-date; but then, the only 'new' things found at the station was the staff: we had a pretty high turn-over (horrid management, low pay, hostile environment...it was a joy to work there)!

But with my knack for figuring out the days (if your birth date is xx/xx/xx, are xx years old; you were born on a _____-day), I was able to get a lot of useful information out of that thing.

Example: did you know that there's name for that day when the day and month share the same number (August 8, 3 March)? Bonsai Bottler Day.

I would throw out random trivia about actors and athletes, and history.

And I quickly learned that there's a day for just about everything.

Take today, for instance.

Today is National Champagne Day!

Ok, we don't drink, you know that. But we have a surprisingly large collection of wines and liquors, including champagne.

And I did recently come across a recipe for Champagne Cupcakes, so I figured, what the heck?

The cupcakes are very light; the champagne's bubbles and whipped egg whites really made for airy cakes.

The frosting was really good; you know how you can accept pretty much any frosting, if you have to, but there's a 'type' you find most satisfying? This was definitely one for me.

Butter and margarine creamed, a few tablespoons of champagne, and lots and lots of powdered sugar.

Despite that, the frosting isn't too sweet, although the champagne flavor really comes through.

I wanted to use a fancy liner, but discovered I had none (ok, I do have Batman liners, but that's not quite what I was going for); a bit of edible gold dust dresses them up, though!




Blog Party#13 is coming, and this month, we're turning off the heat and preparing cool appetizers and drinks!

Post your dishes no later than Thursday, 17 August...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 19th, and I hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + + + +

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker