Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Because I'm Still Irish the Other 364 Days

.


Medallions of Beef with Port Sauce & Cashel Blue Cheese

Everyone was making their colcannon & stew & lamb for St. Patrick's day...only my second-favorite holiday of the year (go ahead, guess what took the #1 spot?).

Meanwhile...everyone in our house was sick. So, no celebrations on the 17th for us.

But seriously, I don't need a special day to celebrate Ireland or my Irish-ness. I'm about half-Irish, thought honestly I'm not sure which parts...

So, I went ahead & made something a week or so later. And because Ireland is not about green beer, I decided to celebrate the amazing culinary strides being made across the country.

For Matt, a gorgeous piece of beef, seared on both sides, put into a baking dish, topped with minced shallots, a Port reduction sauce, pine nuts, S&P, lemon juice & crumbled Cashel blue; place under the broiler till the cheese is bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.

(We also did this using Morningstar Farms 'steak' strips for the vegetarians, & it worked just as well.)

Was it good? Matt could barely talk; he practically inhaled that thing. So yeah, it was good. The Port reduction was amazing, even the non-meat version.



Boxy Potato Cake

Grated potatoes, mixed with some chopped & cooked bacon & scallions, an egg yolk, a little flour & S&P; mix till combined.

Using a biscuit cutter or crumpet mold, portion the mix & make rounds. Cover with plastic, chill at least an hour.

Heat first oil, then butter as well, in a frying pan, cook potatoes on each side till golden & warmed through. Top with slice of crisp pancetta.

What's there to say? Potatoes! Fried! Of course it was delicious. Stereotype or no, the Irish know their potatoes.

4 Thoughts for food:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger breadchick said...

Um... Halloween?!!

That looks wonderful and you know what, as a fellow Irish lass, I'm a firm believer in celebrating St. Paddy's day ANY day you want to!

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger barbie2be said...

hey stephanie, are we ever going to do another bbm?

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

breadchick...seriously, why limit yourself to one day, right?

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

barbie...I hope so! The last one got kind of messy, so I suppose I'm not nearly as anxious to take it on again. But yes, I hope to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker