Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, January 03, 2005

A Feast from the East

.

Ok, I've become ambitious.

Cathy of My Little Kitchen is working her way through Maida Heatter's Cookie book, and I found that inspiring. Not wanting to be a total copycat, I've decided to make a dent in one of my many Moosewood books, Sundays at Moosewood.

First thing I tackled was the chapter on Armenia and the Middle East.

For dinner last night, I made Cheese and Parsley filled Buereks


Lebanese Vegetable Soup


a white bean dip, Black Bean Ful, Topig, and an Orzo Pilav,


followed by a very nice Paklava




As usual, I made too much food. Way too much food. But, things were quite tasty, and I'm finally making a dent in my Moosewood collection!

6 Thoughts for food:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

So what is your favorite cookbook and recipe you've ever made?

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, wow...that's a tough one. Kind of like picking my favorite Beatles song!

I love so many things I've made (though I've hardly ever eaten the baked goods), I honestly don't think I could pick one.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow stephanie, that's a huge spread! The baklava looks scrummy. Way to go! :)

Julia
www.aromacookery.com

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Julia. I never would have attempted it if Matt hadn't been around all day. Alex is a great kid, but he really does require my constant presence. There's just no way I could have spent that much time over a stove, and had to watch him.
We usually do our 'big' cooking on weekends, or his days off. Sushi usually happens on Sundays! It just works better that way.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Oh my gosh - that's a whole lot of cooking! It all looks wonderful. I have several of the Moosewood cookbooks, but not that one (though I'm pretty sure I've checked it out of the library before). How were the recipes you tried?

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It Was a lot of cooking. Thank goodness my hubby was around to watch our almost-two year old!
Let's see...topig were nice, but a bit bland. they really do call for some kind of sauce (tahini dressing was recommended, but I put my foot down at one. more. dish.), but still tasty and nutty.
The buereks were good; I should have cut up the parsley a bit finer!
The white bean dip was quite good...Matt's decided to start adding ground fennel seed and paprika to his hummus now.
I *loved* the orzo pilav, although it, too, could have used a little more flavor. I grated some parmesan (and by some I mean a Ton) on top, which really helped. Good texture.
I wasn't crazy about the Lebanese Vegetable soup based purely on the fact that I'm not crazy about artichokes! But it was (otherwise) flavorful, and the potatoes and chickpeas were lovely.
The black bean ful was really good, and probably the easiest dish. Matt's been taking it to work for lunch.
Aaack! Am I forgetting anything?
Oh, yeah...the paklava is really nice. Probably my finest success with filo. Crispy, with a sweet, but not too-sweet, flavor.
Definitely worth the effort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker