Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Do you B-B-Q?

.

Once I realized there was life outside my small town, I began to notice differences.
Mainly, the differences in foods, and food preferences

It could be anything from the 'Pop!' 'Soda!' debate (being from the Northeastern part of PA, I say 'Pop'), to the point of my post: barbecue.

Depending on what part of the country you live in (or hail from), barbecue (or BBQ) means so many different things. There's Kansas City-style, as well as Memphis, Texas, Deep South...heck, where I grew up, if someone said 'come on over, we're having a barbecue', it usually meant hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, bowls of potato chips, some potato salad and cans of 'Pop!' and bottles of beer chilling in a tub of ice.

It can be so many things...loose meat simmering in a sauce, hunks of meats coated in a 'secret' sauce, a dry rub, roasting for hours (days?) on a grill, or what I knew best: chicken slathered in a bottled sauce!

Matt really enjoys barbecue. There was a place back in Oakland (I think it was on Telegraph) that he really liked; but with me, the non-meat-eater, in his life, he never visited.

I've suggested making our own sauce, but Matt says it's so hard to find just the right kind, you end up eating a lot of subpar sauces along the way.
A couple of years ago, we found a site that sells Everett and Jones sauces...and stocked up.

About a week ago, in an attempt to use the stovetop smoker more often, Matt smoked a pork shoulder. We weren't sure what we were going to do with it, until he decided he wanted to barbecue.

So, I made cole slaw (he likes it, I don't), potato salad (I tried something new, and baked the potatoes instead of boiling them), and while Matt sewed our kitchen curtains, I shredded the pork. Isn't that funny? There we were, in our 1950's kitchen, with total role reversal. Yeah, well...we had a good laugh over it.

Simmer the meat in sauce, and pile onto a role. I'll admit; it smelled pretty good!





Don't you love the retro aluminum tumbler (filled with Jones Soda blue bubblegum POP)? I have about a dozen, in a variety of colors, picked up at the my hometown resale shop.

And for those who are wondering: I had my own version...Morningstar Farms veggie crumbles (fake ground beef) in sauce. Worked pretty well, too.

2 Thoughts for food:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger Niki said...

So, *that's* what a pulled pork roll looks like! I've always wondered if it was as literal as I imagined. I've never tasted one - but I'd sure like to!
And....bubblegum flavoured soft drink*??? Ewwwwwwww.
(*Note -the addition to the pop/soda semantic debate? :-) )

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I can tell you this much: it smelled heavenly! The smoked meat, soaking in a really good sauce...yum.

It's not as gross as you might think...Jones sodas are really fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker