Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Great, great cookies

.

For my very first Sugar High Friday (!), I give you a multi-generational recipe:

Molasses Cookies.



I realize molasses cookies aren't an earth-shattering entry. But these cookies have meaning. To us, at least.

See, the recipe for these cookies comes from Alex's great-great-grandmother! The recipe, according to Matt's grandmother's notes, most likely date to (at least) World War I; a time when sugar was rationed. Molasses was commonly used as a sweetener in baking.



Such lovely cookies!

There's just a hint of spice; ginger, cinnamon and clove. You really pick up the molasses, which is (of course) the point. A bit cake-y, very light. (yes, I tried one)

After all, a recipe doesn't work through five generations if it's bad, does it?

4 Thoughts for food:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Stephanie - the cookies look delicious! It's fun to make old family recipes isn't it? I have some that some day I'm going to get around to trying - problem is they're so cryptic. They're more like a rough sketches of recipes.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cathy!

Oh, they are really good cookies. I've actually eaten a few!

I suppose we're all supposed to know those fundamental cooking and baking things...like 1 lb. flour/butter/sugar/eggs=cake! Back then, I think they really were guidelines with assumptions!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jennifer! I'm thrilled to get a compliment from the creater of SHF herself.

And now that I know about the event, and more importantly...how to find out when the next one is...you can expect to hear from each month!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, honey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker