Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Blowing the dust off...

.

Another 'oldie': from the August 1969 Gourmet, White Mountain Cake.

This one came from one my favorite sections, the 'You Asked For It' column.

The cake, apparently, came a bakery in Philadelphia, which had gone out of business.

Interesting cake base. Butter and powdered sugar, creamed. Add lemon juice and vanilla, then alternate between dry (flour, cornstarch, baking powder, mace---I used nutmeg instead---, and salt) and wet (milk and Sherry). Pour into eight-inch cake pans, and bake till golden.

Frost with an Italian meringue: powdered sugar and water, brought to boil, which is then beat into stiff egg whites (this part takes forever...).



(Rustic, isn't it?)

Very light cake, with the Sherry coming through. Matt liked it, and it's a nice change from all the chocolate, over-the-top cakes I'm usually drawn to.

2 Thoughts for food:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Hey great! You are just the reanimator. Kudos kudos. These cakes breathe again thanks to you.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Anthony.

My EoMEoTE entry will be from an old Gourmet, as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker