Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Thanks, Ina

.

Matt worked late Tuesday night (big computer stuff, much too technical for me to pay attention to), and I was busy doing a dozen different things all afternoon and into early evening.

Still, I wanted to have dinner for him, whenever he got home, so I turned to my folder of 'from the Web' recipes. Out came two from Ina Garten, Broccoli and Bow Ties and Parmesan Chicken Sticks.

Talk about easy! Broccoli, cooked just a few minutes and pasta, tossed with sauteed garlic and lemon zest (so very pretty), and dressed with lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and nuts (the recipe called for pine nuts, which we are out of, so I used walnuts instead).

Light and flavorful; great zing from the lemon. And Matt ate veggies!

As for the chicken, another simple dish. Strips of chicken breast coated in flour, then egg, and finally seasoned bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; pan-fried in butter and olive oil.

Matt really liked the chicken...the layer of coating was thin, but it had a good flavor.

I skipped the Parmesan chicken for me, and instead tried one of the packages Matt brought from the 99 Ranch Market: Smoked 'Chicken' Drumsticks.



Naturally, I looked away long enough to over-cook the things, but still...juicy! Just a hint of sweetness to the 'meat'. And the best part? The drumsticks were formed around dowel rods, i.e., bones!
There was even a crunchy 'skin'...good stuff.

So, once I got started on everything, the meal came together in very little time. Thanks for dinner, Barefoot Contessa!

5 Thoughts for food:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

SHE IS MY FAVORITE! I just love her. I made her roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus last night.

I love her. I've even wrote a letter to her telling her that. Wierd?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I've often referred to Ina as the kinder, gentler, and considerably more approachable, Martha Stewart.

And what I wouldn't give for that house and garden!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Yes, I keep hearing wonderful things about her. Pity she's so unavailable in Australia. :-(

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Sounds like your husband is like mine with the vegetable thing. Maybe this pasta recipe will do the trick. :)

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey, Niki; maybe we could work out some sort of hard-to-find-in-our-own-country cookbook swap! I can get my hands on Ina's books with ease...

Sweetnicks; Matt is so picky about veggies! But I'm finding if I barely cook them, he'll eat them. And of all things, he'll eat asparagus!

Btw; he really loved the pasta. Told me we're having it again. Liked the chicken, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker