Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Working my way through

.



Not long before we left Oakland, I picked up Joyce Goldstein's Complete Mediterranean The Beautiful Cookbook (softcover) at the Richmond Costco, telling Matt he needed to have it. Gorgeous book, enormous book. So big, we have to slide it into the bookshelf sideways.
It was just a few months between purchase and the big move to Tennessee, so the big, beautiful book was boxed up, driven cross-country, and stored in a small warehouse for a long time.

We finally liberated it, along with many others. And the big, beautiful book? Sat on a shelf. The top shelf. The one I can't reach...

Last week, I asked Matt to grab the big, beautiful book, so we could schedule some dishes.

We're starting small, and no more solid-week-from-the-same-cookbook (Nigel Slater cured me of that, thank you) jags.

Saturday night, Matt (what a sweetie) made Angry Potatoes and Fried Holoumi.


Angry Potatoes


Fried Holoumi

The potatoes were very spicy, with that cooked through but still firm texture I like.

The cheese was wonderful...holoumi is salty, but the light batter was tasty.

I have no idea what we're going to make next...we're playing it by ear.

5 Thoughts for food:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

love holumi!
Angry potatoes look great!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger jane said...

for me, haloumi is an awesome hangover remedy. mmmm.

nice blog by the way!

jane

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Clare eats...I've only had it a few times (the saltiness prevents it from being a common cheese for us), but it was sooo good. And the potatoes were really tasty. The cookbook has so many amazing recipes, we really don't know where to start!

Jane, thanks for stopping by!
I can honestly say I've never been hung-over (probably because I just don't drink), but I'm willing to take your word for it!

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

If you think the holumi is too salty
make a nice salad eg tomatoes lettuce, cucumbers etc....

Make a dressing of garlic, chilli, dill, lemon rind (just alittle)lots of Lemon juice, olive oil and a few capers (preferably the little salted ones that have been rinsed really well) and cracked pepper. Grill the holumi (preferably on a griddle pan or in a saucepan) then immediatly put on top of the salad and pour the dressing over the top. Eat.

It is so good! (and you can both eat it ;)

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you for the recipe...I'll make sure Matt gives it a look!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker