Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Second Time's the Charm

.



I know; I've been doing quite a bit of baking the past few days. I must be nice and healthy again!

Wednesday, I tried a new recipe, Fudgey Peanut Butter Chip Muffins. Matt picked these out, no big surprise!

So, I followed the recipe, popped them in the oven, and waited. The muffins on the right are what came out. Saggy muffins!

Huh?

I asked Matt to try one, and as he put it, they really lacked structural integrity. It was almost as if there wasn't enough flour.

Except there was.

So, I waited until after the special Law & Order crossover was over, and tried again.

The only difference between Take 1 and Take 2? A different brand of applesauce. I think the stuff I used in the first batch was too runny; plus, it was made with corn syrup (don't look at me, I didn't buy it!).

The second batch definitely benefited from the better, organic, applesauce. No sinking! See muffins on the left.

Another thing; the recipe claims to make a dozen muffins. The first batch, following the directions and filling the muffins cups just 3/4 full, led to over-flowing baked goods.

The second batch, I filled two additional cups, which also seemed to help.

So...applesauce, rolled oats, sugars (both kinds), butter, egg, vanilla, flour, Dutch process cocoa, and peanut butter chips.

The finished, non-saggy, product: very sweet, with a dark chocolate flavor.


Oh, and be watching for the EoMEoTE#11 announcement!

12 Thoughts for food:

At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's happened to me before - baking something special and it comes out saggy. Cheers to you for trying again!

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Beth!

I suppose I just can't accept a failure, so I had to do it again!

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Niki said...

I've just started reading The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Berenbaumn and I've turned into an cake baking analytical nightmare. Full of theories and countertheories about why things sometimes work or not. That book is practically a text book!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Randi said...

thanks for the offer, but Im only an hour( if no traffic at customs) from the border of Michigan. I do lots of shopping there and I can get the nutter butters there. Its best I dont keep them in the house, cause i love them. The cookies I used worked pretty well. They were a peanut butter sandwich cookie. Just not nutter butter shaped.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Are you hosting Eotmeot this month? I was wondering what the theme was.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki...I have that book, I just don't read it!

Who knows what went wrong with the first batch...and because they're chocolate, I can't toss them to the dogs.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ok, Randi! But if you ever need anything like that, just let me know!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Becky...yes, I'm hosting. I'll be announcing the theme in a day or two.
I figure since the last round-up only posted a week ago, I'd give everyone a bit more time. No later than Saturday...promise!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Mona said...

There is nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate, and these muffins look great. I can practically smell them thru the computer monitor..ugh!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Mona!

Just let me know if you'd like the recipe...

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Mona said...

I think that's a definite...YES :)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mona...send a quick message to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com, and the recipe is yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker