Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

EoMEoTE#11---The Mother and Child Reunion

.



Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion

No I would not give you false toast
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reu-nion
Is only a sandwich away, oh, little blogger of mine.
I can't for the life of me
Remember a sadder day
I know they say let it be
But it just don't work out that way
And the course of a dishwasher runs
Over and over again

No I would not give you false toast
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reu-nion
Is only a sandwich away, oh, little blogger of mine.

I just can't believe it's so,
and though it seems strange to say
I never been egged so low
In such a mysterious way
And the course of a dishwasher runs
Over and over again

But I would not give you false toast
On this strange and mournful day
When the mother and child reu-nion
Is only a sandwich away,
Oh, oh the mother and child reunion
Is only a sandwich away
Oh the mother and child reu-nion
Is only a sandwich away

It's EoMEoTE time! And fitting with the Seventies-Lyrics theme, I give you The Mother and Child Reunion: Chicken Pan Bagnat. Crusty, rosemary focaccia rolls, sliced down the middle, with the insides scooped out...leaving a shell. Rub garlic over the bread, then brush with olive oil. Top with a nice, leafy lettuce...like Boston. To that add thinly sliced tomato, shredded (roasted) chicken breast (or Veat for me), season with a bit of S&P. Top with thin slices of hard-boiled egg, red onion, and green bell pepper, as well as pitted and sliced black olives. Drizzle with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, S&P, and thyme. Repeat, place roll top on sandwich, then wrap in foil for ten minutes, to allow the dressing to work though the bread.

Yum! Very filling, and actually quite healthy. We were starving when making this, but I wisely decided to cut the recipe in half. This sucker left us feeling...stuffed.

Oh...if you're wondering about the 'Mother and Child Reunion' part: Paul Simon got the inspiration for this song while looking at a breakfast plate. Chicken & Egg: Mother & Child...get it? Get it??

There's still time to get your entries in...I hope to post the round-up early next week!

12 Thoughts for food:

At 3:10 AM, Blogger Niki said...

My gawd....what imagination you have shown!!!
I have a really great song, and a very 70s-themed egg which I can't wait to make, but I"m not going to get a chance to post until Sunday evening (Aust time)...any chance you can hold off the roundup til then? Pretty please? :-)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow. Very impressive in all respects!

I never knew that about 'Mother and Child'!!
www.snopes.com/music/songs/mother.htm


Niki, write it anyway, even if it's late. Maybe it can be edited in as a late entry. I'm pretty sure that Jeanne has done that

-Elizabeth

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki...please do! This may be one of the loosest events in food bloggerdom; and yes, Jeanne wouldn't mind at all if an entry came in a bit late. I set the 7th as a bit of a benchmark, but I will gladly take submissions throughout the weekend.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Elizabeth!

I have always loved that song, and it's inspiration. The hard part was finding an appropriate chicken(Veat)/egg dish!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Lady Amalthea said...

Stephanie, that was fantastic! And thanks for the trivia; always fun to learn new things about old favorites.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, this ROCKED! I think I just bust a gut laughing. Wonderful!

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lady Amalthea...thanks! My former career as a 'radio personality' required me (or rather, I required myself!) to know as much about music and the music business as possible. 'Cause you can't just say the same darn things every time, you know?

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cath!

I knew this was the song I wanted to use...I mean, I could easily have picked something AOR, but this one practically squawked out to me!!!!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

You're great
I'm late.
Scrambled Eggs

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yay, Anthony!!!!


Now...I don't suppose you'll go back to hosting once in a while? Jeanne's promised to eat her hat if you do...

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Her hat you say?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yep, her hat. She didn't specify which hat, but c'mon...it's too good an opportunity to pass up!
And being bloggers...we could probably get her to post the hat being eaten!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker