Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Feeding the Hungry

.



Doesn't that look fabulous?

My mother-in-law was out of town this week, so we had my father-in-law to dinner Wednesday.

He went home stuffed...which is what we aim for!

The photo above, gorgeous pooris.



Dal Bukhara: lots of tomato, butter, and cream. Rich, slightly spicy, almost meaty, despite being completely vegetarian.



Murgh Shahi, using a recipe from this site: Chicken in a yogurt-rich sauce thickened with ground cashews. 'Nuff said.



Vegetarian Murgh Shahi (using Veat)



Kadai Paneer, using Sailu's recipe: Onion base, lots of spices, chunks of fantastic paneer. Thick, deeply-flavored sauce, which is the sort of thing we look for.



Lots of rice with both a mint and a tamarind chutney



And for dessert? Grapefruit/Rosemary and Green Apple Sorbets. Brrr...but good.

Both are made from freshly juiced fruits, the flavors are emphatic. The grapefruit has just a hint of extra bitterness from the rosemary, and the apple? Slightest touch of carbonation left over from the sparkling cider.



Tagged with
, , , ,

10 Thoughts for food:

At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spectacular!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gee, thanks!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Wow - you must have spent the whole day preparing that feast! I cooked just two Indian dishes last night and didn't eat until 9:30! Everything looks delicious Stephanie!

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Cathy! And thanks.

Well, Matt and I did a lot of the cooking the night before, then I finished up the day of.

Yeah, it was a lot of work, which is why we only do this when we have company!

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything looks fabulous, Stephanie!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Ravi said...

Hi Stephanie, I am a frequent visitor to your blog but posting a comment for the first time now! My appreciations for all your great posts and the lovely pictures. I was especially amazed with this post. I know the vast difference in cooking styles of Indian and American cuisines and seeing all the wonderful Indian dishes, I can see the interest and passion you have for cooking. Hats off! I just wished if I could grab something from there :-) As Cathy said, I wonder if you spent almost the whole day in kitchen preparing those dishes. I salute your passion for cooking Stephanie!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger sailu said...

Fantastic job,Stephanie..:)Food looks incredible!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Indira!

Fortunately, it tasted as good as it looked...

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ravi...hello! Thanks for stopping by, and for your kind words.

Yes, Indian cuisine does take a bit more time than most American dishes.

Matt and I made both the chicken and paneer dishes the night before, then the day of I made the dal and the poori dough. We knew what we were getting into, and with an almost-three year old, there was no way I'd be able to make all that...by myself...the same day!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Sailu...and it was your paneer dish! Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker