Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Black Bean Taco with Roasted Peppers and Onions

.


(Not worth your time)

Tacos are pretty simple things, right?

Slap some filling onto a tortilla, and you're good.

Unless, of course, you're making this recipe.

Another from Vegetarian Times, it's full of lies. Lies, I tell you!

It says the whole thing takes 30 minutes or less to come together.

I say, 30 minutes in what alternate universe?

First, I had to roast the peppers and onions...that took at least half an hour.

Then there's the old 'saute onions till soft, 5 to 7 minutes'...What?

Whenever Matt and I see an instruction like this, we wonder what kind of deal with the devil, or magic, is being used by the author. Because in our real, hocus-pocus-free, world, it takes a bit longer to achieve onion-y softness.

Ok, we have soft onions. Now, it's time to add beans, tomatoes (fire roasted!), chili powder, cumin, hot sauce and a cup of water.

According to the recipe, the heat is reduced and the whole lot simmered about 15 minutes...or until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Again, I'd like my own personal doorway to whatever crazy-land allows things like this to happen.

For the record, the tacos were good. The mashed bean mixture, topped with cheese, the roasted peppers and onions, lettuce, avocado and sour cream was very satisfying.

Just not enough to make up for all the crap required to make it, I'm afraid.




Tagged with: + + + + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do look really tasty!

You could always quicken things up by using dare I say it 'store bought' grilled peppers..

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Pamela;

A jar of roasted peppers and a can of vegetarian refried beans!

The heck with all that! Thirty minutes my...{_|_)!

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree!
The picture looks delicious (especially with the fresh lettuce and avocado on top)... however I'd use leftover veggie chili for a quick meal and get the same results! (Homemade veggie chili freezes very well, if you haven't tried that...)

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Katherine!!!!!

We've made it in the past...certainly not in this weather...but I don't think we've ever made enough to freeze; thanks for the tip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker