Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Everyone Deserves A Day Off Now & Then

.

A day of silence? Could it be?

Indeed.

See, I had a pretty busy day Monday.

Alex started school!



He was really excited to finally start school...can you tell?



He was happy on the drive there.



I had to remind him I was still there...



He had a wonderful first day. His teacher if just lovely (she's from Pennsylvania!), he has four new friends (just five in the class), and when we picked him up, he said he definitely wanted to go back.

I know some mom's have a difficult time sending their 'babies' off to school.

Not me.

I'm practically doing a happy dance.

Now, you know I love Alex. I adore him.

But I've spent practically every day of his life with him. We both need a break.

Monday was just a half day, so we dropped him off around 8:30 (Matt took the day off). We then had to find a way to kill three and a half hours.

We did a round of shopping (we were the only customers at Earth Fare, which was kind of unsettling), and thought we'd stop for lunch at the only good sushi place in town.

Problem was, it was still so early, nothing opened for another half hour.

We thought we'd pop into a little Indian grocer and pick up a couple things; turns out, they're closed Mondays.

As we were pulling out of the parking lot, Matt noticed the second SugarBaker's location. Twenty minutes and fifty bucks later, it was time for lunch. And then we drove back and picked Alex up from school.

I guess what I'm saying is, I didn't have a melt-down because he 'started a new chapter', or anything like that. I had a nice morning out with my husband, and from now on, three days a week?

I will have the whole frakkin' day to myself.

We went back in for a parent-teacher meeting this evening, and on our way there, I saw something that...well, I was so startled, I had Matt turn around so I could get a picture.

See for yourself.




Blog Party#13 is coming, and this month, we're turning off the heat and preparing cool appetizers and drinks!

Post your dishes no later than This Thursday, 17 August...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 19th, and I hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex seems a sweetheart. I didn't have a meltdown either. The goal of childhood is adulthood and I celebrated each step along the way! Wonderful you and your husband shared this one.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Erika W. said...

Alex's first day sounds wonderful, I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

And what's with stores? DS and I drop DD off at school at 7:45 am, and some of the places we shop at don't open until 10:00 am- that's a lot of time to kill, and annoying. But grocery shopping early in the morning is great- no one else is there.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tanna;

Alex is a sweetheart!

I was so happy to drop him off...this is an amazing school, run by wonderful, caring, dedicated people; he's going to learn so much, and have a great time.

And the three days to myself? Well, that falls under 'priceless'!

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Erika!

Most stores don't open till nine, which I can understand. But restaurants (outside of family-friendly joints like IHOP and Waffle House, Eat'N Park and Friendly's) never open till lunch, so if you're dying for something to eat...well, you die!

When I was still in radio, I did all my grocery shopping around two, two-thirty in the morning. Except for the occasional patron from a recently closed bar, or a trucker grabbing a quick something or other, I was the only non-employee in the store. It's kind of surreal, trolling the aisles and seeing only a few, uniformed, people!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger FH said...

I remember the first day of my daughter's school. When her bus left, I went back home with a big grin on face! After many years I could read a book without getting up hundred times!!
School starts here on 25th, I can't Wait!!

Btw ,may I suggest 'Krishna's Cuisine' by Yamuna Devi and 'Dakshin', both excellent Veg. cook books to add to your list.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Foodie's Hope: That's exactly what I did!

Wednesday was his first full day, and I got a box from Amazon...wtih two new books.

I sat on the couch, and read and read and read...and it was so quiet!

Nice. Very nice.

Thank you for the recommendations; I'll definitely look into them, thank you!

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg! i love his superman shirt!!!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

He has another in black and silver, as well as a couple of Batman; I mean, I'm out to raise my child right!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker