Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Freshly Baked Bread

.



Needing bread for the 'toast' part of last weekend's EoMEoTE entry, I asked Matt to find a Ciabatta recipe for me.

He handed over a book I bought several months ago, but hadn't yet made anything from, Nick Malgieri's A Baker's Tour: Favorite Baking Recipes from Around the World.

I've been wanting to make Ciabatta for quite some time; we frequently buy the Ciabatta rolls sold at Earth Fare.

But after making this recipe, I won't need Earth Fare!

(ok...I'll need them. I'll always need them. Just not for bread.)

I couldn't get over how easy this was!

Just flour, salt and yeast and water. Seriously.

And one rising...that was it!

The hardest part was getting the two loaves onto the 400 degree pans; our baking stone died about a year ago (sniff, sniff...rest in peace). Which is why my Ciabatta sport less-than traditional shapes!

It puffed up quickly, and was everything bread should be: good crust, fabulous aroma, chewy on the inside. Perfect.

Matt specifically asked if I'd make it again...and I do love hearing that.



Blog Party#13 is coming, and this month, we're turning off the heat and preparing cool appetizers and drinks!

Post your dishes no later than Thursday, 17 August...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 19th, and I hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 4:09 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

They look fantastic Stephanie! Heck, I have a baking stone and can't get my bread to look like that!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Erinna said...

That does look fantastic...share the recipe? :)

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love making bread. I'm still working on Ciabatta - the shape and aroma I got but I keep missing the random small to large holes inside. Still tastes great.
Your loaves look divine. Isn't is incredible how those lowly ingredients yeast, water, flour - and the spectacular comes from your oven. I'd say beautifully done - stone or no stone. And "make it again" Wow!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Zarah...and it's wonderful to hear from you again!!

Life getting back to normal?

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erin; I'll email it later today, ok?

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Tanna!

I admit I was expecting a more elaborate recipe, but I'm very happy with the results.

Yep; the plan is to make it every weekend, and slowly stock-pile Ciabatta in the big freezer!

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of all the bread types, I love ciabatta. I tried once making it at home, but the recipe I followed had two risings and a two day process. I also don't have baking stone. After all the effort, the end result was not that good, also tasted weird. Never tried it again after that experience.

Yours looks really good. Please mail me the recipe, Stephanie. I would love to try. I would greatly appreciate if you'd include any tips/extras that you have followed.:)
Thanks.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Indira, I've sent out the recipe to both you and Erin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker