Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Perfect Potato Pancakes

.



It's not like I haven't made potato pancakes in the past. And I most certainly grew up with them; it was quite common to see advertisements in the daily newspaper for potato pancake sales, benefiting some organization or another.

But of all the times Matt or I have made them, they've never quite turned out right. Not crispy enough on the outside, or too crispy, or the insides were under-done, or well, just not what we were looking for.

A few weeks ago, I got (yet another!) new cookbook, Brunch: 100 Recipes From Five Points Restaurant, and I was completely taken in.

It's filled with good, hearty, brunch foods, and even if I didn't care to eat it myself, I found myself thinking of excuses to make many of the recipes.

Their recipe for Shredded Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon caught my attention, so I thought I'd make it for the 'guys'.

Along with 'cheesey eggs', they had, no joke, the best potato pancakes I've ever tasted (and yes, I did eat some!).

Their recipe calls for shredded potato, mixed with an egg and some flour, and lemon juice (to stop them from browning); I followed it...mostly.

See, I didn't want to get up an hour earlier, just to peel and shred the potatoes. Instead, Matt ran them through the food processor the night before, and tossed them in a bowl of water, which spent the night in the refrigerator.

In morning, I drained the potatoes, squeezed out as much water as I could, and followed the rest of the recipe (minus the lemon juice). Once it's mixed up, ladle-fulls are dropped into a pan of hot oil, and cooked four or so minutes per side.

So simple, yet so...perfect.

Matt said we could stop searching for a potato pancake recipe!

Topped very thin slices of smoked salmon (for Matt only), and mugs of cocoa, it was a pretty good breakfast.





Tagged with: + + + +

5 Thoughts for food:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Those look absolutely delicious. Potato pancakes are one of those foods that I've never had much success with, either. I must give this one a try.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Angela;

They really are that good, and they are that easy!

The book itself is pretty good...I pressed it into service for Saturday's Blog Party; I needed a waffle recipe in a hurry, and the book was right there...

Probably says more about the state of my kitchen, then the book's worth, huh?

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I love potato pancakes, but I grew up eating them made from mashed potatoes, actually. Maybe it's a Southern thing? I don't know - it's just how my grandmother used up leftover mashed potatoes from the night before!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Abby;

I've actually had them both ways; post-Thanksgiving, cooking up those left-over mashed potatoes was pure heaven!

But I think I had just as many of the shredded potato variety, as well.

Of course, I just love potatoes, so I don't really care which version I have!

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love potato pancakes! Well, only until recently. My friend introduced me to it. This seems to be a very delicious variation. Perhaps my friend and I will try this one over the weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker