Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Question for My Australian Friends

.

You guys have some of the most restrictive customs regulations I've ever seen, although I completely understand why it's done. Gorgeous place, your country; don't want to muck it up with foreign pests and whatnot.

Now, I've read over the lists of what is not allowed in, but I'm a bit unsure of an item I'll be sending there.

So, here's my question: Can products like marmalade, or jelly, be shipped to Australia?

Thanks in advance.

11 Thoughts for food:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Where is the list you saw? I just typed in specific items to see what the restrictions were. I'm nervous about my BBM package!

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've taken homemade jams and jellies when flying into Australia without problems. I think honey is the only think that could be a problem

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Abby;

I gave a list of known restrictions near the bottom of the big 'list' for BBM; you can see it again here, just scroll to the end of the blog names.

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbara;

Thank you so much! I knew about honey, but was unsure of marmalades, because of the whole 'fruit' thing.

This really helps.

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruit in the form of jam / marmalade should be fine, it's just the fresh variety you're not allowed to bring in.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Kathryn! Again, that helps.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger ilingc said...

Would it help if I told you I got some jams in my BBM package? and they arrived in one piece and was not confiscated? :)

But kathryn is correct, they're usually stricter on the fresh variety (fruits and veg) and anything with eggs in it.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Mairead said...

My friend works for the quarantine service and she tells me that anything homemade may be confiscated. You will be OK with bought items with proper seals and detailed ingredients listings apparently. We wanted to import some jerk seasoning and had to limit ourselves to shop-bought because of this.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Mairead said...

Having said that, my BBM had a tiny little jar of preserves in it. My package was opened by AQIS and they didn't remove it or anything else.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yes, I-Ling; that does help!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mariread;

Ok, now I'm confused!

Well, I suppose I'll give it a try, and just hope for the best. But thanks to everyone who posted their two-cents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker