Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Wartime Wednesdays: Alliteration for Breakfast

.



Butterscotch Buttermilk Biscuits

Suggestions for a General Plan of a Day's Meals

Breakfast



Fruits, fresh, canned, dried or fresh stewed.
Milk, or cocoa made with milk, for the children. Milk, cocoa, tea, coffee or other beverage for adults. Milk on cereal for all the family.
Cereal, preferably whole, for all the family.
Bread, toast or muffins with butter.
If a heartier meal is needed, it may be desirable to add eggs, bacon or other fat meat, and potatoes, adapting the method of cooking to the children.


Doughnuts, cookies, jam, jelly, marmalade, and pancakes with sirup should be considered desserts, even at breakfast time, to be eaten only after more wholesome foods have been taken.---The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book


Something Matt picked out; a variation of the Buttermilk Biscuit recipe (and prepared like the Baking Powder Biscuit recipe); flour, baking powder and soda, and salt are sifted together; cold shortening is cut in. Buttermilk is quickly mixed in. Sticky dough is turned out on a lightly floured board, and for this version, patted out like a jelly roll. Melted butter is brushed on the dough, and finished with brown sugar.

Roll and slice; bake in a very hot oven 10-12 minutes (I used the suggested muffin tin for these).

Very tasty, these little rolls. Less because of the sweet filling, although that's nice; instead, the biscuit itself is rather wonderful. Almost flaky, a bit salty, and quite easy to eat more than just a couple!




Tagged with: + + + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

Mmmmmm.... Yummy!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Chicky said...

I found a copy of this book on ebay and I can't wait to get it! I couldn't get a copy of the victory edition-I kept getting outbid-but I found a nice copy with someone's notes in it-I love to see what people wrote in their cookbooks!

Thanks for sharing this book!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog...great idea...never thought of this way of taking buttermilk biscuits to the next level...I'm trying this tomorrow!

Tom R.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbie; they really are! There were a few variations for this, but I think they'd be just fine plain.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Domestic Chicky!

How wonderful! I really think you'll like it. I loved the sections on setting the table and serving dinner (with or without servants??!), and so many others.

The Victory Binding doesn't add a whole lot, so you aren't missing too much.

Let me know how you like it!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tom, I'm not sure I'd have thought of it, either. Hope it worked for you!

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Chicky said...

Got it! LOVE it! I love the details and instruction! I haven't even had a chance to get to the recipes!

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Wonderful!! Isn't it an amazing book? I particularly love the section on setting the table, and the proper ways to serve a meal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker