Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Grape-Thyme Jelly

.



Isn't that just gorgeous?

Tastes as good as it looks, too.

I needed a Grape-Thyme Jelly for the most recent Blog Party, which meant I needed to make it myself.

Which is fine, actually...I really like making jellies and marmalades. Go figure.




Last month, Lyn made a cake with Concord grapes, and was shocked to learn that grapes do, in fact, taste 'like that'.

I don't think I've tasted or smelled a 'real' grape before tackling this jelly...now I'm both a convert and an addict.

Because had I eaten a small, round, and purple fruit that tasted exactly like the grape juice we buy for Alex? I'd have remembered!

They smelled wonderful, too...even Matt, who has a notoriously poor sense of smell, was getting a bit of a scent-high from these little things. Too bad they're so hideously expensive. Sigh.



Sauternes is warmed, and then thyme leaves are steeped in it.



Meanwhile, the grapes (which I had much fun smooshing), chunks of apples, sugar and a enough water to cover the whole mess, gets a-cooking. Strain the fruit (I didn't have a jelly bag (?), so I used cheesecloth), and the grape liquid and the thyme-Sauternes get mixed together.



Add pectin, and let it bubble...the results? That beautiful jelly you see above. If you look closely, you can see the thyme leaves suspended in the jars.

As for taste? Matt didn't want me to give a jar to his parents. Or anyone else. He wants it all for himself!




Tagged with: + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Brilynn said...

I made some grape juice from my own grapes (nowhere as good as concord though) and stuck it in the freezer for a time when I felt like making grape jelly. I may just have to experiment with adding thyme to mine, I hadn't thought of that.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

i'm dying to master jams and jellies. i had some wonderful plum-cranberry jelly this past summer in texas.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Sara said...

That looks delicious. I can't blame your husband for not wanting to share.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Helene said...

We would definetely need each a jar. Looks like jewels in a jar! thanks for sharing the recipe.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Laura said...

just when we got done the tomatoes I guess I'll be getting the jars out again. This looks wonderful, thank you for sharing it.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn; I wouldn't have, had it not been in a Nero Wolfe story!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbie;

I guess it's because I grew up watching Grammy preserving everything during the summer and fall...jellies, tomatoes, pickles, you name it.

I love doing it...although I'm not much of a jelly fan, myself!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara;

Now, if he'd only remember to eat them!!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Helene;

It is pretty, isn't it?!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura;

You're welcome!

And what have you been up to? Nothing in months? Can't leave us hanging like this...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker