Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, October 16, 2006

World Bread Day '06: Pao a Moda de Sao Miguel

.

world bread day '06

What a wonderful idea!

Zorra is celebrating that most wonderful food...bread...by asking bloggers to bake or buy bread today, and tell the world about it.

We're quite fond of bread in our house, so I was happy to have an 'excuse' to bake!

There was a time when I feared yeast. I was afraid to make bread!

Of course, growing up, I never saw anyone actually make their own, so that could have something to do with it (banana and zucchini breads most definitely do not count).

I finally took the plunge about six years ago, and while I won't say yeast breads and I are best friends, we at least have a working relationship.

Still mining that Gourmet collection from 1975, I found this recipe for Portuguese Cornmeal and White Bread in the August issue.



Using flour and a bit of white cornmeal, these two loaves have the most amazing crust. Like it's already been buttered; crisp and crunchy, which comes from a basting of milk before baking.




The interior is soft and doughy...it'll make great sandwiches.

Thank you, Zorra, for giving me a reason to bake bread today!





Blog Party#15 is this weekend, and this month, we're hitting the books! That's right, we're taking inspiration from our favorite stories and turning them into appetizers and cocktails! Post your dishes no later than THIS Thursday, 19 October...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 21st. Hope to see you there!


Tagged with: + + + + + +

15 Thoughts for food:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great contribution to World Bread Day.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the look of the bread. Really fresh.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Stephanie,
Beautiful loaf.

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a whole loaf of whole wheat bread from a nearby bakeshop and it's one of the softest, tastiest bread I've ever eaten.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Peabody!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Sarah...it was really good.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Kevin...that means a lot, coming from you!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Carolynn; there's no beating freshly-baked bread!

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

It is taking me ages to work my way through the World Bread Day round up ...

Ooooo! I love this kind of bread! We often buy it from a local Brazilian bakery but I've always wanted to try making it. In fact, just recently we got some fine cornmeal.

It's so exciting to find someone who has actually made it. Yours looks fabulous. I don't suppose you could list the ingredients (and quantities) from the recipe in your Gourmet collection from 1975?

-Elizabeth

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Elizabeth;

Fire off an email to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com, and I will be happy to send you the recipe!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Stephanie! (email sent)

-Elizabeth

P.S. Is this epicurious PORTUGUESE CORNMEAL WHITE BREAD (Gourmet December 2000), by any chance, the same recipe as the one in your Gourmet collection from 1975?

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I made the bread, Stephanie! It is delicious. Many thanks!

-Elizabeth

http://etherwork.net/blog/?p=325

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm sorry it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but hey...T liked it!

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Don't get me wrong. Even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I really liked it too, Stephanie. Thanks again!

-Elizabeth

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sure, Elizabeth! Besides, half the fun is trying out the different recipes! I'm sure you'll find it, eventually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker