Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Gingery Broth with Wonton Ravioli

.



It's getting colder (fine with me!), which means we're coming on soup weather.

I love soup. Whether it's as simple as broth with tiny star-shaped pastas, or roasted and pureed vegetables, chunks of foods floating around...don't care. I just love soup.

What I really love is fast and easy soup preparation, and this recipe qualifies.

Stock...I just used vegetable bouillon...simmered with garlic, ginger and scallions. Remove solids, and reserve.

Chicken (or Veat) is finely ground in a food processor with ice and cream and salt (lemon zest is also called for, but my lemons went bad...), and chilled. Then, the filling is dropped by teaspoonfuls onto wonton skins, covered by another and sealed, and cooked in boiling water.




The wonton ravioli is then added to the re-warmed broth, garnished with scallions, and served.

What you get is a wonderfully hot and peppery broth...the ginger is definitely the dominant note here...with wonderful raviolis.

I'm not generally a fan of dumplings (it's a texture issue for me). But the chicken/Veat paste, aided by the cream, I'm sure, made for fabulous filling.

We mistakenly used the rectangular wontons; the recipe calls for...and would most certainly benefit from...the round ones.

A quickly prepared, and very satisfying, soup.




Tagged with: + + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Sara said...

mmmmmm, that looks good. I am so cold today! A big bowl of this would hit the spot.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It's really good...the broth alone would fix you right up!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Sounds like the perfect cure for a cold....yum!

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lydia...this stuff is good. Frankly, I'd be happy with just the broth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker