Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Product Review: Fruity Cheerios

.



From time to time, I'm contacted to test and review products. I do this not to make money, or to make a name for myself, but simply because I enjoy trying new things.

Recently, I was asked if I'd be interested in Fruity Cheerios.

I said yes, and the box arrived the next day.

Now, I'm already a fan of Cheerios. Unfotunately, I'm in the minority in our family. Alex, who's at least willing to taste just about anything even if he won't continue eating it, refuses to eat Cheerios. Matt thinks they taste like sawdust. Huh.

Me, I like them. I've always liked them. Which is odd, considering the very tight reign my mom held over our breakfast-eating habits as kids. Our cereal cabinet held Cheerios, and Kix, and Wheaties and Total and Grapenuts on a regular basis. It was a treat if we got Rice Chex!

No sugar cereals, ever. (Of course, once I was out of the house, all the rules seemed to bend or break, and my little sisters were eating sugar-coated everything.)

Despite the more obvious urge to rebel, I do in fact enjoy 'good for you' cereals. I always keep an enormous box of Cheerios in the house, and have it most mornings.

We don't really feed Alex the sugary stuff, either, although with all the cereal choices out there today, it's easier to find healthy and naturally sweetened options than when I was a kid.

So, when the box came, Alex & I gave Fruity Cheerios the oh-so important snack test.

Flaked cereal rarely competes in this test. Flakes just aren't much fun for snacking.

But the Fruity Cheerios? Oh, they did just fine.

I was really impressed at how good it tastes. Seriously. My tolerance for sweetened food is in a constant state of depreciation. I worried it would be sugar-overload.

But no! This stuff is good. Fruity, genuinely fruity, from, you know...fruit juice. Not overly sweet, but enough to snag the interest of a four year old.

We snacked on a couple of handfuls that night, then had it in milk the next morning. Again, the Fruity Cheerios were good. Didn't get too soggy, the colors didn't bleed out too much, and still a really good flavor.

I liked them, sure. But more importantly, Alex liked them. Even Matt agreed they were pretty tasty, and would eat them for breakfast.

That's high praise, indeed.




Blog Party#22 is here, and this month, we're taking on the Wild, Wild West!
Turn your favorite Western dishes into appetizers, and cocktails/mocktails, and join the party.
Entries are due Thursday, 17 May; you can leave a comment here, or email your links to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. Hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I adore Cheerios. I eat them straight out of the box. I also like Honey Nut Cheeerios (with milk). Maybe I'll have to give these a try. ;)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Brilynn said...

Is it just me, or haven't these already been invented? What happened to Fruit Loops?

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erin, I think you'll like them. They're less overtly sweet than Fruit Loops, with the concentration on the fruity flavors.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn; I think this is Cheerio's answer to the fruity loops, actually.

And between you and me, I think these ones are better!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I enjoy Cheerios on occasion, but I have a bit of quirk as I can't eat broken Cheerios. For whatever reason I find un-whole Cheerios to be gross, irregular, just plain wrong. So sorting through Cheerios a palm at a time can make eating them time consuming. Interestingly this quirk doesn't extend to Fruit Loops, so I wonder where these O's would end up on my food spectrum.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

i have to agree with Matt. cheerios taste like sawdust. :)

and i'm pretty sure that i would still prefer froot loops to fruity cheerios.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jessica, that is an odd quirk! Of course, I have a habit of first eating the broken nuts whenever they're in front of me. I can't seem to eat the whole ones until I've 'taken care of' all the broken ones first!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sawdust? What is with you guys??

Seriously, though; I really think the Fruity Cheerios are darn good. You should give them a try.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruit cheerios are amazing. I love the little O's. It doesnt taste like fruit loops and that's good because FL are too sweet and get annoying quickly. Fruity Cheerios FTW

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

fcprincess; my kid likes them, which is what really matters!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker