Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

How Romantic!

.



Saturday was 'date night', and Matt and I had dinner, followed by a night at the theater (Arsenic & Old Lace). But we had a big block of time before the show started, so we headed to one of our favorite places...Edward McKay's Used Books and CD's.

McKay's recently moved from their old location to a much, much bigger building...and more importantly, with lots of parking!

Matt's been there since the move, but this was my first visit.

Wow.

Seriously; wow. The place is huge. You really could get lost in there...which is more dangerous than it sounds!

Unleashing either one of us upon a book store is akin to setting free an ant colony next to a chocolate cake.

We went there with the intention of just picking up a few books. Really, just a few.

But then I found the cooking aisle.

Thirteen books later, I forced myself to find Matt, who was absorbed in the anthropology section. I caught him before he did much damage; stopping at three.

That brought our total to sixteen books. Throw in a couple of CDs, and we were done. Total? Exactly $70.00. Not bad...those .50 Time/Life books really helped!

22 Thoughts for food:

At 3:12 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

did you get the timelife cooking series?

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Nic said...

$70 for 16 books and cds? Wow. And by the looks of things, I think you got some incredible books, Stephanie.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

I have The Bread Bible too - haven't tried that much from it though, so will look forward to hear what you think! The hamburger buns from it are great!

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like wonderful collection, Stephanie.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Wow - sounds like you did great. I wish we had a good used bookstore around here, but we don't. I gotta say, if we did, it would be dangerous.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Clare; I didn't get the series, but picked up three relevant (to us, at least) volumes. They were going for .50 a piece, so I grabbed 'Asian', 'African', and a multi-national volume.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Nic...it is a good deal!

McKay's does an amazing business, which is why (I think) they can keep their prices so low. I bought one book which was fifteen dollars, but the next highest was four or five. The rest? Of mine, at least, were just a couple bucks each.

I think they're pretty neat, too...I've been too busy to really go through them, but I'm sure I'll find something worthwhile in all of them.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Zarah...I saw that, and thought 'must have!'.

It, as things would have, was the most expensive book in the bunch. But I couldn't resist it...

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Indira!!!! So wonderful to hear from you.

At the very least, it's eclectic. I was seriously disappointed in McKay's offerings in the 'baking/dessert' section; mostly low-fat or just extremely lame. Of course, that's the first section I check out!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks...you ever make that trip down South, I promise to take you to McKay's!

And believe me; I know from dangerous. It's the main reason I never go with Matt when he decides to pick up a book or two...I know I'm not capable of doing that; getting just one or two!

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great loot! I love 2nd hand book stores and frequent them a lot here...what I'm wondering is: Is there a ton of those timelife series books going around the 2nd hand book shops of the world? Because we have them here too!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Joey, I think the Time/Life books are a bit like encyclopedias; everyone had them, but has found something newer/more practical (internet, book compilations) to take their place.

So yeah...I think you'll find collections all over the place!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Score! Nice job on all the books! I haven't looked to see if Phoenix has a decent used book store. I need to find out!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Joe!

I can't imagine a place like Phoenix not having a good used book store...some where!

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love used book shops!! I tend to get carried away, too. I'd say at least 60 percent of my cookbooks (maybe more) come from used book shops.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger S said...

I love Ed McKay's!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Alice, they are dangerous, aren't they?

I think most of mine are new, but I have been picking up used ones over the last couple of years.
And my FIL has been unloading quite a few of his cookbooks on us, as well...which is great, except for that whole 'we have no more room' problem!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jessica...you know McKay's???

Isn't it great? We had a few tiny used book shops where I grew up, but nothing on the scale of McKay's.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Mckay's ...when I was in private school/college down there I spent tons of money with them.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow... I can't believe how many people know about McKay's.

And it's not difficult to spend lots there, is it?

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Randi said...

i want that bread book. Please make something from it and let us know.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Randi...I'm working on it!

I've been dreadfully ill the past week, so haven't been spending much time in the kitchen. Once I reach that critical stage of being able to go half an hour without blowing my nose, I'm going to give it a try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker