Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Garlicky Tortellini, Spinach and Tomato Soup

.



Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Wednesday night, we had a simple, flavorful, and so quickly prepared Garlicky Tortellini, Spinach and Tomato Soup; a recipe from Fine Cooking, and found on the Sur La Table web site.

A brilliantly simple dish: sauteed garlic and broth, some cheese tortellini, diced tomatoes and juice, cook till tender. Add spinach and basil, cook till wilted, top with cheese.

It's that easy. And such a good soup. A light and barely tomato-y broth, perfectly cooked pasta and tomato, and still-firm greens. Matt really liked it, and it meant he ate not one but two veggies for dinner!

A chunk of a surprisingly good, crusty bread (from Target?!), and the meal was on.

We both decided we'd like to have it again, and considering how fast it comes together (Matt mentioned it took longer to get the ingredients in one place than to make the soup itself), it may become a staple.

On the other hand, it's not a grab you by the shoulders and shake you to attention kind of soup, either.

It's good. It's basically healthy. But it's also...well, kind of forgettable.

I mean, while you're sitting there eating it, you're thinking 'this is pretty good stuff; I like it'. Then you finish, and walk away from the table, conveniently leaving your dishes on the table (ehem...you know who you are), and that soup has about as much meaning as a bulk-bin popsicle.

I liked the way Matt described it: this soup is kind of like watching the movie (and a favorite of mine, at that), 'Sneakers'. While it's there in front of you, it's pleasant. A good time. A good way to pass an hour or two.

But when it's over? "well, that was nice." And then you pretty much forget about it.

Still, it's a good, in-the-moment kind of meal. You just might need a snack after the film...




Blog Party#7 is coming up, and this month? It's all about Red and Hot! Your cocktail and appetizer entries are due today, ...send them to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com, or leave a link in the comment section. Get planning, and hope to see you at the party!


Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,

6 Thoughts for food:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks very good.I've been on a spinach kick lately,I'll have to add this one to ly list.
Emily
http://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues/

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Emily!

You really should...and I can't stress enough how simple it is to make.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Laura said...

"Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?"

Now I must, must, must, go watch and episode from Season 1 of The A-Team. *grin*

Soup looks good, and there's nothing wrong with a pleasant standby, it also looks like the kind of soup you can dress up with whatever you happen to have around or need to use up...

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you!

I was hoping someone would catch that...god, I loved that show. Dirk Benedict was sooo dreamy...when I was 12 and under.

The soup is good, and I agree...you definitely could play around with it.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger sorellagigi said...

Sounds great!! Do you have the recipe for the "Garlicky Tortellini, Spinach and Tomato Soup" on your blog? It is no longer available on the links in you post (Sur La Table). I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the recipe!
FYI, the best tortellini I have found is Barilla...it's verrry tender and delicious, much better than frozen!
By the way, your blog is great!
Gigi

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Gigi!

And thanks; I just love to make food...I don't really have a mission statement beyond that.

My policy is to never post recipes, but I'm always happy to share them privately. I'll send off an email in a bit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker