Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Multiple Choice Made Easier

.



Matt was in Philly this week, for business, which meant I was a true full-time parent.

One way to keep Alex occupied is by getting him to 'help' in the kitchen.

A recipe I'd been meaning to make with him, Multiple Choice Cookies, from Joanne Fluke's Blueberry Muffin Murder, was just perfect.

Melt a stick of butter and pour it into a baking dish. Then, select one ingredient from each of four (A, B, C & D) columns. First, the 'crust'. Column A. Vanilla wafers, animal crackers, chocolate wafers...we picked graham crackers. Alex had great fun smashing them to bits with the rolling pin!

Sprinkle them over the butter, then pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the crumbs (I couldn't find the can I knew I had, so I mixed up dry milk powder and sugar with warm water; works like a charm).

This is where I messed up...I was so intent on keeping Alex involved, I sort of skipped this step...oops. More on that later.

Next, Column B. Chips or candies, of various kinds. We went traditional, with chocolate chips.

Column C. Something crunchy. Coconut, rice cereal...we choose corn flakes, with Alex again pounding the flakes into crumbs. He really liked that part.

And finally, Column D. Nuts. Several were listed, but Alex only had eyes for the cashews. They were added.

This is where I noticed my error. Figuring I had little to lose, I dumped the faux condensed milk over the whole mess, after Alex got to compress the ingredients.

Baked in a moderate oven about half an hour, despite the 'oops', we wound up with some fairly decent cookies. And I spent some 'quality time' with my kid.





Tagged with: + + + + +

7 Thoughts for food:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Brilynn said...

Multiple Choice- the only exam I ever sat down to happy, knowing that the answer was already written for me. In cookie form? I love it!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Hey that's pretty cool! I'd love a cookie made with vanilla wafers or animal crackers.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn; I know what you mean!

Fluke's recipes are pretty simple, as a rule, but this one disturbingly so. Perfect for kids.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Nicole; that's the one! And I appreciate you linking, rather than posting.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara, it's so simple, to not make them would almost be a crime!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger barbie2be said...

i made these yesterday with the recipe nicole provided the link for. i chose vanilla wafers, chocolate chips, coconut and cashews. they turned out AWESOME! everyone is raving about them. YUM!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbie...I'm so happy they worked out for you!

I'm about as anti-coconut as anyone can get, but I can see how that combo would work well together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker