Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Happy National Peanut Butter Cookie Day!

.



I wasn't feeling well last night, plus I'd consumed three Central Perk-sized mugs of tea late in the evening. I found myself reading, and catching up on 'Net stuff.

I discovered that today, Tuesday, was National Peanut butter Cookie day. Well, heck; can't let that one pass me by, can I?

I was up anyway, and I'd recently blown through a book, so I was feeling a bit antsy...like doing something.

Matt loves peanut butter cookies, but as I recalled, we don't like the same kind.

I like my mom's. He likes the ones on the back of a Jif jar.

I was certain I had a Matt-approved recipe in my box, but despite checking four times (and even varying my search locations), couldn't find it.

I then turned to the many volumes of cookbooks producing groans from our bookshelves. Tried Martha. Ina. Baking-only books.

Nothing.

Well, no...that's not entirely true. I found recipes for Peanuty cookies. For peanut butter bars.

I found recipes requiring an extended stay in the refrigerator. It was already past four am, so they were rejected immediately.

Finally, I started pulling volumes from my "Oldies" shelf. Books which, in some cases, have been around close to ninety years.

I was starting to believe there was no such thing as a proper pb cookie recipe, when in a last-ditch effort, I grabbed a community cookbook from a small town in Wisconsin.
It's lost both covers, and presumably a few pages along the way. It's held together by a single, yet rather thick, silver ring. There's no idex page, but fortunately, chapter divisions are listed at the tops of pages.

I located the "Cookies" section, and after shuddering as I flipped past several cookies-which-shall-not-be-named recipes, found exactly what I was looking for.

Basic. Flour, sugars, vanilla, eggs, peanut butter, salt, baking powder, and (in this case) shortening. Mix things together, roll into balls, apply the familiar criss-cross pattern with a fork, bake, and sit back and enjoy the redolent pb goodness.

This being an older book (I didn't check at the time, but I believe it was published in the late fifties or early sixties), there was the implication that you knew what you were doing with these recipes. An oven temperature was given, a baking time was not. Also, size...roll into 'small' balls.

What, exactly, is small? The recipe claimed to produce 4 dozen cookies. I found myself looking at considerably more than 4 dozen around seven this morning...

But, they looked good. I used a cookie instead of the alarm clock to awaken Matt today; holding it under his nose till consciousness hit him. As mornings go, it's not a bad way to begin.



Blog Party#23 is here...and it's out of this world! This June, turn your favorite appetizers and cocktails into Sci-Fi treats. Entries are due Thursday, 28 June (thehappysorceress at gmail dot com)...hope to see you there!






Blogging by Mail sign-ups are going on now! The latest round of goody-swapping is all about My Favorite Things. You have till 5 July to join the fun...



Tagged with: + + + +

6 Thoughts for food:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

They look really good, Steph! I've never baked with peanut butter, I should give it a go soon!

I'd be up in a second if I had these beauties waiting for me. :)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Kitchen Utinsel said...

If you are looking for great cookie recipes, especially peanut butter just get online. I can't image wanting to bake at 4 AM. It must have been more than just tea to keep you awake and ready to bake at 4 AM.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Patricia!

You really should...pb works well in so many forms!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Flash...if you'd been reading my post (sounds like you didn't), I'd been online for some time.

And I was up at four in the morning, not just because of tea, but because I wasn't feeling well.

I don't care for your insuation here...I'm a frakkin' veg, for crying out loud. I don't drink, and I don't TAKE anything.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

National Peanut Butter Cookie Day--I love it. This was such fun to read, though of course I'm sorry you weren't feeling well and couldn't sleep. I'd take waking up to the scent of a freshly baked cookie over an annoying alarm clock any day! : )

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Farmgirl!! How are you?

I love 'days' like this. It's a fun excuse to make something that you might not have, otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker