Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It Doesn't Have to be Pretty to Taste Good

.



Let's be honest: we don't post photos of every single thing we eat (unless you're Sam, or inspired by her). I think it's equal parts embarrassment (peanut butter & cheese sandwich) and lack of photogenic-ness (new word!) (buffet of refrigerator may taste good, but rarely looks it).

I skip photo opportunities all the time; a bowl of low-fat vanilla yogurt topped with wheat germ? Not worth it. An Amy's frozen meal? Not admitting to that (oops). Whatever left-overs I can scrounge from my fridge shelves? No one needs to see that.

But just because we don't photograph or talk about it, doesn't mean we're not eating well, right?

Something Matt & I have been doing the past couple of weekends proves it.

We, like many families with children, spend a large chunk of Saturday or Sunday doing our grocery shopping.

We generally hit three different stores, which means time and energy, not to mention patience (an active kid like Alex gets pretty bored after the second store). Four hours later (I wish I were kidding), we come home and try to figure out what to have as a meal that requires little to no cooking, yet isn't junk.

But a couple of weeks ago, we decided to cheat our way to a fairly healthy, no-cook, minimal-mess, and filing dinner: meze.

It's so simple. During our shopping trips, we grabbed a pack of pita, Earth Fare's amazing hummus (made daily, and saves us a ton of mess), some produce and white beans.
We already have a large container of plain yogurt, and the most amazing Feta I've ever tasted.

Once all the groceries have been put away (that part's never fun, is it?), we sit down to pita, hummus, tzatziki, white beans drizzled with rosemary-garlic olive oil, crumbled Feta, chopped tomato, and some tinned dolma.

It's fast, it dirtied very few dishes, and we eventually walked away from the table feeling pretty good about life.

There were no fancy dishes, or artistic platings. I didn't fuss with lighting or camera angles. It's not pretty, but darn it all---it was good.




Tagged with: + + + + + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Nupur said...

Ah, that meal of little "mezze" looks just like it would anyone in a good mood. Even after a marathon shopping trip! True, it does not have to look pretty to taste very very good.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this made me laugh because, although I posted a recipe to my sunflower/cilantro pesto on 'apronstrings and simmering things' I did NOT post a picture. Looked like oooblek.
But it tasted awesome. If you could just do cyber scratch and sniff?

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger daphne said...

Simple things in life tastes the best stephanie. =) I have moments like this too.

Well done in posting a realistic meal! hehe

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Champsleeve said...

I agree completely. I love a pretty dish as much as the next person but our meals at home are much more "homey". I always say - do you plan to look at it or eat it?!!

-Dana

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hello, Nupur!

It was a wonderful little meal. Messy, and filling and just perfect for the circumstances.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Marye; that would be brilliant!! Isn't Emeril always saying it's too bad we don't have Smell-o-Vision?

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Daphne. And you know what? It was kind of nice not finding the 'perfect' plate, and background, and all the rest. Just eating dinner for a change...what a concept!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dana...exactly.

I will photograph 70% of our food, probably...but that other thirty percent can be just as tasty!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

you can keep the hummus because i am not a fan of chick peas, but i'll take everything else. :)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbie...really?? I love hummus, especially when it's made with roasted red peppers. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker