Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Georgia O'Keefe, Call Your Baker!

.



We were having fried egg sandwiches for dinner, and I wanted a good bread for it. Something thick & hearty, able to hold up to squishing.

I admit, I don't bake bread on a regular basis; Alex is too much a sandwich monster to keep up with the demand (blame it on his growing boy-ness), so we buy a loaf of white fairly often.

It's not as if he's growing up on Wonderbread! He's seen me make bread plenty of times, and his grandmom makes it every weekend. He knows about kneading and rising, and loves to help.





Since what I wanted was a very basic, very simple, recipe, I was faced with a slight dilemma: with hundreds upon hundreds of cookbooks taking up space in an already storage-blighted house, finding just the right one would require an overnight bag, a map, and an OTC for headache relief.

I have a lot of cookbooks. A very large number of them are dedicated to baking....

I looked at Martha, I checked out the Bread Bible. But what I wanted was something homey, and I didn't really feel like giving up an entire day to something that would be consumed in less than ten minutes.

So, I grabbed my copy of The Good Home Cookbook (which I helped recipe-test!), and found what turned out to be a very easy white loaf. Dry ingredients, wet ingredients. Nothing outrageous or fancy. Went all Earth Mother on it, and mixed and kneaded it all by hand.

Rose beautifully, both times, and then it was ready to bake. Well, almost. It needed a good 'slash' down the top and a liberal basting of butter. Which it got.

Into the oven; the house smelled fantastic. Took it out, let it cool. It wasn't until later that I noticed something...




That nice 'slash' I gave the dough? During baking, it had...um, expanded. Into a rather more provocative shape.

I may have to give this bread an "X" rating!!






Blog Party's gone ghoulish: this month we're serving up Gross Anatomy!

Get full details here, and RSVP no later than next Thursday, 16 October. Hope to see you there!


Tagged with: + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Haha, I love the post title!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

How funny! I was just watching Project Runway the other day and one of the contestants made a dress with a similar feature that Tim Gunn was worried about! Oh well--fresh x-rated bread is still tasty! (And its a conversation piece too!) ;-)

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

As I was reading your post I was thinking "okay, but what does this have to do with Georgia O'Keefe?" As soon as I saw the last photo I knew. Made me laugh out loud. I did a raisin swirl bread the other day and from the top, it looked exactly like two butt-cheeks. That picture didn't make it up. I wonder if there's a nascent blogging event somewhere in here? ;-)

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

ts...thanks, Matt came up with that one, so he gets the credit. It's a good one, isn't it?

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...I couldn't believe it! What began as a simple slash left me witht my own verson of The Vagina Loaves...

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Andrea...I had to hide that photo at the bottom; this is generally a pg-rated blog!!

Maybe we could start the Accidental Adult Baker's Club? The AABC??!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Well, x-ratedness aside, it looks delicious. Share the recipe?

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erin, I'll try to get it to you this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker