Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Someone's in the Kitchen with Alex: Why Raising a Child is So Expensive

.


Cheese Tortellini in Saffron Cream Sauce


Matt got the saffron out, saving me from dragging out a stool the next day (I'm short, cupboards are tall), and like just about every other food, spice or seasoning he sees, Alex wanted to smell it.


After doing so, he declared we should have tortellini with some sort of saffron sauce.


I was so proud, I could have cried.


So, last night, that's exactly what we did.


With help from his dad, Alex prepared this gorgeous dish. Few ingredients, just cream, butter, saffron & grated Asiago cheese, and of course, pasta.


It was rich and filling, and delicious. Not bad for a five and a half year old, eh?


Of course, he's developing some fairly expensive tastes; Yale or Gruyere? Hope it doesn't come to that.







Blog Party's gone ghoulish: this month we're serving up Gross Anatomy!

Get full details here, and RSVP no later than next Thursday, 16 October. Hope to see you there!

12 Thoughts for food:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger NKP said...

How wonderful that you have a little foodie in the making! The pasta looks so warm and satisfying. I am getting hungry for it for breakfast.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Kimi said...

I love that story! He should meet my friends 5 year old. Upon tasting his meal at a restaurant lately he mused," I think I taste a bit of fresh basil in this dish". How wild, they grown up fast! I was way into my 20's before tasting fresh basil!
Good luck

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Haha... Tough choice... maybe go with Gruyere? ;D

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

That is so funny--better than him constantly wanting happy meals though!

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Natashya; oh, he loves to be in the kitchen. We really are lucky...we sit around the dining table, and as a family, spitball recipe ideas. It's fantastic!
And oh, yeah...good pasta.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kimi...that's great. I love the way he gets into food, and cooking. Makes us proud.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

ts...I'm really hoping an Ivy league school won't be out of reach, with the food tastes he's developing!

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb, I'm extrememly proud of the fact he's never eaten a happy meal!! My boy eats well, and that's what's 'normal' for him. I hear from other parents about how all their kids eat is nuggets and mac & cheese and pizza; I rattle off the fruits, veggies, and ethnic meals Alex consumes, and they can only respond with awe...

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Nate @ House of Annie said...

You should enter this in the Kids Cooking Thursday roundup.

http://silvermoon-dragon.blogspot.com/2008/09/kids-cooking-thursday-goes-interactive.html

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger SilverMoon Dragon said...

I was just about to suggest you and Alex join in with Kids Cooking Thursday, but it appears someone's already beaten me to it. That's pretty cool actually.

I'm very impressed. While Master Four loves to watch me cook dinner, and join in whenever he can, he's yet to suggest meals, or come up with recipes. What's your secret Stephanie? I want to train mine to start helping with the menu planning! lol

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

nate-n-annie: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Silvermoon Dragon: I honestly don't know how we got so lucky. I mean, he comes from a long line of foodies, and food & cooking permeate our lives; we cram the house with cookbooks, we make grocery shopping a 'big deal', we talk about food and recipes and ingredients all the time. And we've had him helping, in some capacity, in the kitchen for at least three years now. He just sees it as what his family does.
It definitely helps that Matt cooks, too...he's growing up in a world where the guys cook, as well. Both his grandfathers, his uncles, and of course, his dad. They're all pretty talented in the kitchen, and they enjoy doing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker