Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Getting it off my chest

.

I'm not normally a combative or confrontational person.

But today I'm (apparently) in a fighting mood.

I got a comment today, on a post from last week, that just got me mad.

Here it is:

At 1:31 AM, Anonymous said...

No offence (and I am sure you've got this before), but chicken is animal and chicken-eating people are NOT vegetarian.

Kudos for cutting back on animal products but vegetarians do not eat creatures like birds and fish

Regards


To which I replied:

At 11:09 AM, Stephanie said...

I have no idea who you are (signing in as 'anonymous' is a bit cowardly, if you're going to leave a comment like this), but if you'd read on, you'd learn that I always use Veat, a vegetarian chicken substitute. I have not eaten meat (chicken, pork, fish, beef) of any kind in close to ten years. The 'chicken' in the picture is, in fact, a Veat 'chicken breast'.

I really don't need a complete stranger coming here telling me how to live my life...if anyone knows about the vegetarian lifestyle, it's me.

Next time? Get your facts straight before you tell someone off.


I don't like people making assumptions, and I really don't like when they feel they have to correct someone. I don't manage these blogs to get into arguments with people. Leaving a comment like that is just rude, if you ask me. If he/she really wanted to share some information with me, my email address is right here on the blog...getting in touch with me, in private, would have been the polite way to do it.

If you don't like something you see here? GO AWAY. I don't need people like that in my life.

And now back to our regularly scheduled blogging...

13 Thoughts for food:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Cate said...

I was wondering what comment you had removed when I saw that the other day. Learned something new that day - I didn't know you could remove comments. It's very easy to hide behind an anonymous posting, but they probably didn't mean it how it sounded, you know? Chin up ... and keep blogging. :)

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Actually, I hadn't removed any comments...perhaps someone else did it?

The comment-removal feature is just one of the many nice tools Blogger has; although I haven't (fortunately) had many reasons to use it!

Don't worry; I got my 'grrrr' out by posting this. And some idiot know-it-all isn't going to keep me from cooking, baking and talking about food!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Strange. I thought only "we" had control over our blogs and someone else couldn't touch it. On that day, it showed 2 posts (if I remember correctly), and the first one said "This post has been removed by the Administrator." Very strange. Anyways, how 'bout e-mailing me the recipe for that delicious looking Key Lime Pie?

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

My god, that's just RUDE! The comment is one thing (that's rude and ignorant in itself) - but not even leaving ones name an e-mail adress when uttering a statement like that is impolite and ridicilous! I've always been so impressed with the fact that you cook meat for your husband when you don't eat it yourself. Kudos to you for that Stephanie, and for standing up for yourself!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I have no idea what's going on, Sweetnicks...I just know I didn't delete any comments from this blog. The recipe is on it's way (twice...ooops).

Zarah; I know! and thank you. Vegetarianism is my choice. While I'd prefer the world didn't munch on cows and pigs and the little lambs (sniff, sniff), I have never pushed my views on others. As Matt and I prove daily, it's possible for a veg and a carnivore to coexist!

Thanks, Renee...I don't think this commenter was a family member or friend...those close to me know I don't tolerate the sort of thing!
And support from you guys just reinforces my belief that I'm doing the right thing.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Suebob said...

It's like a sickness, being a competitive vegetarian. I have had people tell me they are vegetarian, then tell me they eat chicken and red meat "every once in a while" and I just smile politely and say "That's nice."

And I have other people chastise me for eating fish on the rare occasion that I do (about every 6 months my parents take me somewhere that there is absolutely no veg on the menu), usually my own dear darling boyfriend who LOVES to point out that I fall off the veg wagon at times.

Miss Manners says that the first rule of etiquette is that adults don't correct the behavior of other adults. I try my best to abide by that, though I am often sorely tempted.

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi there, Suebob!

The problem is...I've never been competitive! I don't like playing games like 'Sorry' or 'Life'...I hate taking away someone's money, or property (ok; I kick butt with Monopoly, but that's my Mom's fault).

I've just never felt the need to one-up someone. I will, however, tell them when they should shut their pie-hole...kind of the point of this post.

And what is it with vegetarians, anyway? If we aren't getting attacked by meat-eaters, our own kind are coming down on us! It's a personal choice, people...no one's forcing anyone to eat anything.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness, there is no excuse for berating people about what they eat (with extra bonus lack of excuse for making incorrect assumptions while you do it)!

But I think I understand why it bugs some people when other people identify themselves as vegetarians and then eat things that aren't vegetarian -- it sometimes makes non-vegetarians confused about the whole issue and feed us fish. Then everyone feels awkward.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, I agree that claiming to be vegetarian and then scarfing down a fish dinner or chicken sandwich is confusing to meat-eaters.

I was just angry that he/she didn't bother to learn enough about me before passing judgement!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Niki said...

I don't mind when people become vegetarians on moral grounds - they've shown they've thought about the issues and formed their opinons, which I respect; I have quite a few friends who have made that decision - but it annoys me when they do it because they see it as fashionable, or they think they'll lose weight by doing it (usually the opposite happens because of all the potatoes/fired they suddenly start eating). Now, *that* kind of narrow-mindedness annoys me!
Out of curiousity, what things do you feed Alex instead of meat? I know you would be providing him a balanced diet with all the right vitamins etc. but what kind of things do provide as protein equivalent substitutes for him (I ask because I have 2 vegetarian friends, but they've chosen to give meat to their young daughter)

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, Alex eats pretty much the same things I do.

That means a lot of fake meat (mostly TVP); veggie sausage or bacon with breakfast, chik nuggets with lunch. When we had a big burger night, Alex and I ate Morningstar Farms Grillers, with cheese...yum.

He also eats some tofu, and beans, and eggs, and peanut butter...don't forget cheese (we're ova-lacto).

It's funny, when I first became a vegetarian (about nine and a half years ago...wow), every single person I talked to worried about my protein intake. Especailly my Mom.

What I found so funny, I was actually getting more protein in my diet after I stopped eating meat, than before!

And Alex lives off fruit, and loves things like asparagus, and tomatoes, and edamame. He drinks milk and water. The kid is in the top 5% in every development area, and has had exactly two colds in over two years...and that's because Matt and I were sick, and the poor little guy was stuck home with us.

No ear infections, no urinary problems. Sick, exactly twice in his life.

He's healthy, smart, and happy. I think he's going to be just fine!

And thanks for asking, Niki.

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Wow - that's interesting, especially when you compare him to other children his age and the type of rubbish they're eating. My mother keeps telling me to watch Jamie's School Dinner screening here at the moment; she's horrified by the amount of processed food schoolkids in the UK eat, and how they can't even recognise a vegetable.
I sometimes wonder if my vegetarian friends have made the best choice for their daughter, because of all the fuss, bother, whinging and complaining that goes on when they handle meat cooking for their daughter. I think that is the best way for their daughter to see meat as something she shouldn't really enjoy, rather than forming that decision based on her individual experiences.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I made up my mind early: Alex was going to eat healthy. About the only processed food he gets is boxed Mac & Cheese, which he loves...but even then, it's from Annie's, an organic company.
There are commercials running in the States about how infants and toddlers eat less than one fruit or veggie a day...and many consider french fries to be a vegetable!

As long as I'm around, Alex won't be one of those kids...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker