Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Faux-R-E-O's! Whoa...

.



Found on the Food & Wine site, Heavenly Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.

Simple recipe, but not perfection.

Flour, cocoa, salt, butter and sugar, mixed together. formed into an eight-inch square and chilled.

Cut the dough into quarters, then roll each piece into an eight-inch square; cut that into quarters, and then into quarters again (we're aiming for sixteen here, for the math-challenged). Bake and cool.

Here's where I felt the recipe got all stupid on me: using a wooden spoon, mix a stick a butter with a heck of a lot of powdered sugar...until thick and creamy.
What?

I mixed and mixed. I tried using a pastry cutter. I even brought out the electric mixer. And instead of becoming, as promised, thick and creamy, I got...crumbly.

I gave up, and was able to form, by hand, the filling into appropriate cookie-shapes.

The cookie was very dark, very chocolatey. It was also kind of crumbly (real word?). I was relieved when I only lost six.

The filling, however, was really good. It tasted like the filling of those trademarked cookies, ehem. Without all the shortening.

But still not perfect. Not quite what I'm going for. I'll have to hunt for a clone recipe, I suppose.

Oh, and speaking of those cookies that-shall-not-be-named: European readers...what can you tell me about the chocolate cookies sandwiching tasty white filling you get where you live?

I recently read in a news article that the CTSNBN sold in Europe have a non-trans fat filling (and a creamier one, at that), and a denser, darker, cookie. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 Thoughts for food:

At 2:06 AM, Blogger Niki said...

We get those cookies here in Australia too, but I'm not sure of their ingredients etc. I should have a look next time I go shopping. Can't say I'm keen to buy a packet though. Not a big commercial biscuit fan, really.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Niki!

Matt loves O...I mean, those cookies. I don't really care for them that much, myself. And that's why I decided to make some from scratch. I figure I can always do a better job than an assembly line, right?

Do let me know what's on the package where you live!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

They look wonderful Stephanie! Do you think if the butter was melted it would make the filling less crumbly?

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cathy.

I really don't think it'd matter. The kitchen was unbelievably hot, and the butter was so soft I was worried it'd spill out of the wrapper!
But the filling worked out. I know the recipe called for a creamy filling, but I kind of liked the more compact texture of the filling I ended up with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker