Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Indoor Picnic

.



So, I finally have a big, gorgeous house, with an enormous yard, filled with old trees and flowering bushes. Our yard is so big, neighbors are often coming up to us and suggesting we sell off a section. Um...no.


Unfortunately, as part of the package deal, the house and yard also comes with unrelenting heat and humidity...and oh, yes. Mosquitos.

So, my dream of hosting large, outdoor dinners, and tea parties is still very much that; a dream.

At least until we find enough change under the couch cushions to spring for one of those fancy skeeter-killers.

Being in the mood for a picnic last week, I decided we were going to have one...but set it in the dining room!

We had sandwiches made on nice, thick, rosemary ciabatta rolls; salami and Fontina for Matt, and veggie ham and smoked Gouda for Alex and me. I made cole slaw for Matt, and potato salad for the two of us. Dill and bread & butter pickles, and the rare addition of potato chips rounded out the meal, and we (horror!) allowed pop in the house, too...Alex and I had grape, and Matt drank Coke.

What I think I'm going to do is this: when November rolls around, and it's still warm enough to wear tank tops, I'm going to have an outdoor dinner. Even if it's just for the three of us. The bugs will be gone, the humidity as well, so we'll drag out a table, spread a cloth, and have a picnic. Right before Thanksgiving!

4 Thoughts for food:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, no!

It comes down to this: Matt doesn't like potato salad. I don't like cole slaw!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Ugh, my dh doesn't eat potato salad either OR coleslaw. What gives? Next time you're in the mood for a picnic, what about spreading a blanket on the living room/family room floor and eating there? That's what we do sometimes, when the heat's too much to bear. Sounds like you had a fun night!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

ooh Indoor picnic!

Anything is worth avoiding mosquitos... trust me I know all about those little blighters

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks; the floor would be a great idea, if not for our two, rather large, dogs!

Clare eats; oh, those nasty mosquitos! And poor little Alex seems to get eaten the most...he's outside five minutes, and comes back with half a dozen red welts. Although, oddly enough, they never seem to bother him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker