Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Basil Burgers for the 4th

.



Although it's over five years since I moved from my hometown, I still have my local paper 'delivered', via the USPS.

There's really very little in it (just ask Erin); all the major news stories can be found elsewhere. I usually read the birth and death, wedding and anniversary announcements. Oh, and there's the always-fun 'District Justice Roundup'; a summary of all the court cases, including DUI's (really big where I come from...we have our own brewery!), shoplifting, and so on.

I don't know why I still get it, especially now that my paper's available on-line.

But last week, I actually found something in an issue that I was happy to see: fronting an enormous advertising section was a full page of burger recipes.
Hoping to find something to make for Matt, I browsed the recipes until I found Napa Valley Basil-Smoked Burgers.
I knew he'd like that!

Ground beef mixed with bread crumbs, onion, chopped basil, dry red wine, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic salt.
The recipe called for the burgers to be smoked with dampened basil leaves over hot coals, but as it was raining off and on all day, we skipped that part.
Top burgers with slices of Monterey Jack, and spread rolls with a pesto mayonnaise.

We may have skipped a few steps, but Matt absolutely loved them. Fantastic flavor, and next time? It'd better be a clear day, so he can use the outdoor grill!

Oh, Morningstar Farms Veggie Dogs for the non-meaters...

3 Thoughts for food:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I can send you the recipe, if you're interested.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Stepahnie,

I know you're from CA, but what's your home town?

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kevin: I'm actually from a small town (technically a city, but they've yet to convince me) in NW PA.

I spent two and a half years in Oakland, before moving here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker