Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

No, please; make my life easier

.



I saw this in one of my cooking magazines earlier this month... new digital camera from Olympus features a 'cuisine' setting!

Probably my biggest obstacle in food blogging is taking pictures. Not because I'm inept around cameras (I was a photographer for the high school year book, with no complaints!), but because the one we have is...frankly...a piece of crap.

Our camera seems to have issues. It simply will not take photos of white foods. This means no potatoes, rice, pasta, ice cream...even white sauces.

It 'leans' to the right, as well. Take a picture, within the screen's 'frame', and the picture you end up with is a bit off what you intended.

It's just not a high quality camera, and I want a new one.

The Olympus Stylus 500 may be a bit out of my price range, but I'm making it my goal. One way or another, the camera shall be mine.

I should point out that I do, in fact, use our digital camera for more than just food blogging. I have an adorable toddler and two very cute dogs...we're talking photo ops galore!

6 Thoughts for food:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger eat stuff said...

I would love a "little" digital camera to take to restaurants. I lover our camera but it feels a little silly to pull out a Huge monster, being discreet would be much better! But it does take really good photos! It is a fuji fine pix s602z (s7000) new model, there is a cheaper version that is great to though
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002AHQM8/qid=1121994658/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3174150-8169520?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846
is the cheaper version that doesnt have a super macro... and is still really good and cheaper than the camera you were looking at.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Clare, Nic...thanks for the tips. The way things are going, a new camera is becoming more and more of a priority!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Niki said...

I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon; they're really where it's happening with digital cameras at the moment.
Don't be swayed by 'cuisine' settings on certain cameras (esp if they're more expensive!); most decent cameras have a macro setting, which is the same thing.
It's the button with a picture of a tulip or flower on most cameras and suddenly you can take very close range photos that are completely in focus and perspective. It's the sole reason that I can take photos that look really quite good sometimes!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Niki. The camera situation has become dire, so we've been looking around. I'll make sure Matt investigates the Canon's a bit more.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Cate said...

I actually ripped out that ad on the "food" digital camera as well. Because I'm relying almost completely now on our digital camera (and shelving the "regular" one), I'm on the lookout for one that has better zoom and quicker turnaround between pictures. I like mine fine, but need it a bit better if we're going to use it solely. I love that we can edit pictures online and get prints of only the ones we want - think of all the $$ we'll save!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm not a techie; I still want and use my film camera. I just like the ease of putting photos up with the digital. I also like knowing whether or not the photo turns out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker