Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Ham and Gruyère French Toast Sandwiches

.



How decadent does that sound?

We love ham (ok, veggie ham for me, and prosciutto for Matt) and Gruyere, and we love French toast. Putting those two together? Brilliant!

A recipe from Food & Wine (sorry, guys...), it's layers of your-choice-of-ham-product and Gruyere on one dipped-in-egg bread slice, placed in a buttered frying pan, then topped with another egg-dipped slice, and cooked till egg is set and cheese is melted. To serve with, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples are simmered with water, sugar, and cinnamon until just tender. Some nicely browned potatoes on the side, and we call that a meal.

The sandwiches are...big. I mean, they taste big. Filling. Wonderful...the bread is just lightly French-toast-y, and the melted cheese and ham-ish products go so well together. The recipe makes four, with two for each. One can be too much!




Tagged with: , , , , , ,

4 Thoughts for food:

At 1:18 AM, Blogger yana said...

drools!!!! lol

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Boy that looks good! Funny you should post this today... I went to the National Gallery yesterday and stopped in the cafe for lunch. They only offered a few savory items (mostly they had pastries) and I had my heart set on the ham and gruyere croissant. After a bit of a wait, I was seated and the waiter arrived, and ... no ham and gruyere today!

Apropos F&W... so technically they posted about a cheese sandwich... right?

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mangue...thanks, and again with the napkins!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Cathy!

Matt and I loved the Rockridge bakery, particularly for it's croissants. But we had a really hard time getting up early enough to get them. Sometimes, we'd get there as early as seven, and they were already out!

Yes, it's a cheese sandwich...but is it a blog??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker