Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Test Run

.



It's not perfect.

But, I'm baking a cake for somone this coming weekend. They want to PAY ME to bake a cake for them.

I'm using fondant. I've never been crazy about the stuff, and right now, I'm 'eh'. It's useful, sure...but piping, to me, is just better.

I'm having loads of trouble with the buttercream, because the cake I make is incredibly dense. It stays very moist, so the crumb layer of frosting never fully dries.

But, I did a test run last weekend, and I think I've figured out what I need to do to make it work.

I've got the fondant-thing down, so that's not a problem. A professional smoothing tool would be useful, though.




Tagged with: + + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger breadchick said...

What a lovely contrast to the bright green. I completely agree about Fondant. I really think it is overly fussy to work with. Believe it or not, I use a yard stick to smooth my cakes. Wide enough to do the trick and long enough too. Make sure you get a wooden one though. I found mine at JoAnne's Fabrics.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Stephanie,
Maybe not perfect, but pretty damned impressive.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Steph, what a great job!
I've worked with fondant many times and I know it can be tricky at first. Once you master it, though, it's a walk in the park.
A smoothing tool is very good and not expensive, but you can try something else while you don't buy one: try wrapping your hand you waxed paper and rub it gently against the fondant. Very gently so the paper slides.

Those flowers are so beautiful - I'd love to be able to make daisies!

P.S.: If you want to exchange info on fondant or sth like that, drop me a line. I'd love to talk to you about it.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Breadchick!

My mom's been making cakes for...about twenty years now. She hates it. Now I see why.

I agree that it's amazing, and pretty, and you can do so many neat things with it.

But I grew up watching her transform this blank canvas of frosting into the most amazing pictures, all from a piping bag fitted with a Wilton tip. Faces, flowers, cartoons, you name it. Fondant just seems like cheating.

Thanks for the yard stick trick...I may just use it.
All we have here now are JoAnne's; our Hancock stores are all closing down...

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, thanks Kevin!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Patricia, thank you so much for you generous offer!

I did alright with the fondant, it's really the buttercream I'm fussing with.

I have a roller for the fondant, which took some getting used to as it was so darn small. And as for the daisies, well, I lucked out: Wilton has cutters in three sizes which I was able to use. Thank goodness! A petal-shaping tool, and I was in business.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Stephanie,
Since I have been taking cake classes and all, I am of course a self proclaimed expert, anyway, if you freeze your cake even if for just 20 minutes before you frost that will help with the crumbs.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Heather...I'll have to try that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker