Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chipotle Chicken Burritos

.



With food magazines, it can often be hit-or-miss. Some issues practically flower with sticky tabs, leaving us the difficult task of deciding which delicious-sounding recipe to try first.

Other months, just one or two grab our attention. There's absolutely no guarantee, is there? I suppose this is the closest I come to gambling: I hand over money to the publishing companies, and maybe I'll get something in return.

That was the case with this month's Food & Wine. Only a few things called out to me this issue. And one of them was Lucinda's Chipotle Chicken Burrito.

I think it was the words 'chipotle' and 'burrito' that sucked us in. Mostly, 'chipotle'. We're big fans here.

It's not a complicated recipe; it's really just cooking chicken...or Veat...in water with onions and garlic till the meat...or fake meat...is shred-able.
And cooking down onions with a bit of brown sugar, some chipotles and adobo sauce, and tomatoes till it's nice and thick. This is pureed and tossed with the shredded chicken.

Sour cream, diced jalapenos and a little water get blended, and reserved.

Finally, assembly. Warm up flour tortillas, sprinkle with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, the chicken mix down the center, black beans, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, slices of avocado, and the sour cream. Wrap and eat.

Really good stuff. Very filling, and very messy. It didn't help that our tortillas were too small...




I just like the look of those avocados. There's no other reason.




Tagged with: + + + + + +
+

5 Thoughts for food:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Wow, lady. That avocado shot dispensed some serious happiness in my book! I think I'll be walking to the corner shop for some avocados today!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh I LOVE the flavour of chipotle - that deep, satisfying smokiness... Your post has reminded me that I don't cook nearly enough Mexican food. Oh, and that perfectly ripe, creamy avo... swoon! If I thought they'd survive I'd suggest an intercontinental books-for-avos trade ;-)

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lara...my work here is done!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne, I have Matt to thank for getting me into avocados. I could live off them, I'm fairly certain.

If I thought they'd survive the trip...and customs...and I'd do it!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Sophie!

If you're ok with the fact it's not an original, but from F&W, it's fine with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker