Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

HHDD#28: Polenta of Choices

.

With the shock of hearing from Chez Us that I'd won last month's HHDD came the realization I'd be hosting this month's event!

(photo to come soon; camera issues!)



The search for my many Donna Hay cookbooks, as well as the never-have-enough magazine collection, lead to 30 or more dishes I remembered I wanted to make, but it wasn't until I spied the recipe for Parmesan and Polenta Chicken that I knew I had this month's challenge.

A gorgeous salad on it's own, and one that can be easily adapted to personal preferences.

The greens can be changed to a favorite, or what's in season.

The chicken can be swapped out for tofu, for the vegetarians (raises hand).

And if the corn isn't growing just now where you are, try frozen or baby corn.

Ingredients that cannot be swapped out: the corn itself, in some form, & the polenta coating.

Complete rules can be found here


To enter, make the recipe below, do the usual photograph/blog etc.

To me (thehappysorceress at gmail dot com), send the following:

The Name & URL of your blog
Your Name
Your Location
Name of your recipe
The URL or the permalink to your entry
And a photo if you have it!

Be sure your post links back here & to Chez Us


Entries are due 20 September.




Parmesan and Polenta Chicken

2 cobs corn, husks and silks removed
olive oil for brushing
2 x 200g (7oz) chicken breasts
flour for dusting
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 cup(100g/3 1/2 oz) polenta
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
100g (3 1/2 oz) baby spinach leaves
1/2 basil leaves
grated parmesan cheese, extra to serve
dressing
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
sea salt and cracked black pepper




To make the dressing, place the mustard, lemon juice, garlic, oil, honey, salt & pepper in a bowl & whisk to combine. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 220 C (425 F. Brush the corn with oil, place in a baking dish & roast for 25 minutes or until golden. Slice the kernels from the corn & set aside.
Slice the chicken in half horizontally, dust with the flour, dip into the egg & press into the combined parmesan & polenta to coat. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat & cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden & cooked through. Arrange the chicken, corn, spinach & basil on plates & spoon over the dressing & grated parmesan to serve. Serves 4

16 Thoughts for food:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Charles Thomas said...

OHMIGAWD that sounds so delicious!

I will have to have company over just so I can make it (living alone, it's just too much hassle).

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the deliciousness.

A little bird told me to come by and wish you a happy bday. ;)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Esme said...

Happy Birthday.

xoxo

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Oh wow this looks so good!

I am also coming over to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! :)

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Esme said...

Happy Birthday-I hope you had a great day.
xo

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This chicken sounds delicious. I'm going to give it a tery!

I heard it was your birthday from a friend so I'd like to wish you a Happy Birthday (I believe I'm late one day but the sentiment is the same) Best wishes for a beautiful birthday and a wonderful year,
And the most delicious of dishes :o)

~ Amy

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger SilverMoon Dragon said...

I'm making this for dinner tomorrow. Yum.

I can assume that's 1/3 of a cup of cheese, and not 13 cups right? ;)

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I had hoped to participate but so sorry it won't happen this month. Good luck with hosting Steph.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Charles, it's really good. And really, very easy to make! Don't deprive yourself.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Christy, thank you! For both. And who is this little bird, anyway???

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Esme, thank you so much!

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sheila, love your site. Books...can't get enough of them

And Thank You!!

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Esme...so you're the mystery birthday wisher! Thank you, again. The birthday greetings were unexpected but welcome & I really do love the little Batman book.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Amy, thank you so much!! I have started the tradition known as 'Birthday Month' in our house; that by virtue of my age & the fact I've often had to share the date with Labor day, it was about time we extended the festivities to the end of the month! So, your kind sentiments were still very timely.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

SM Dragon; I am so glad you liked this dish. And yes!! Thanks for the catch; obviously I fixed it.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbara, I understand. I had hoped to join Taste of Yellow but it didn't work out for me, either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker