Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

I read it in a book somewhere...

.

I started reading the Joanne Fluke mysteries, beginning (appropriately) with Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.
I now have all but Lemon Meringue Murder, which is on it's way. And I refuse to read them out of order...but that won't stop me from checking out the recipes!

Yes, a mystery series, with a baker as the heroine, that also prints recipes. I'm in love.

And from Sugar Cookie Murder, I made Barbecued Anything for Matt's dinner.

Using chicken breasts, simmered slowly in a crock pot (five dollar resale shop find), with ketchup, mustard, cider vinegar, brown sugar, season salt, and onion.



This book was unusual, as the side story revolved around a community cookbook; most of the recipes are for cookies, cakes, pies and other baked goods. I already have a long list of goodies to try...I just don't know when I'll find the time.

3 Thoughts for food:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Nic said...

Stephanie, I have the Blueberry Muffin Murder, but haven't read it yet. I'm glad to hear that the recipes are good. I've also read Diane Mott Davidson's culinary crime series recently and quite a few of her recipes sound good, too.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fluke's stories aren't earth-shattering, but they are enjoyable. It gives a wonderful, if slightly stereotypical, picture of small-town life. And I ought to know; I come from a town quite similar...every single person knows every other person's business! If you suspend disbelief (at least two people biting it each book...you'd think the townspeople might start to wonder about the heroinine; but Jessica Fletcher solved the murders of half of Cabot Cove without raising suspicion) long enough to finish the book, it's a nice, fun read. There's plenty of food talk, and the recipes are both interesting and varied; there really is something for everyone.

I hadn't heard of Davidson, but now I'll give her a look...thanks!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Niki said...

There's a fairly new Australian series of crime/mystery books set in Melbourne with the heroine as a baker running her own shop in an art-deco building in the CBD. They're quite enjoyable, and very 'Melbourne'. I wrote about them in my entry about chocolate Kahlua orgasm muffins. I love foodie mysteries. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker