Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Not ol' chicken and potatoes

.

And more still from Real Food. Slow-Fried Potatoes with Thyme and Taleggio, and Grilled (or Fried) Chicken with Chilli, Lemon and Mint.



Cook chopped onions in butter and olive oil till soft and golden, then add sliced potatoes (cut to the thickness of pound coins...right. I had to look that one up), salt and pepper, sliced garlic and thyme; tossing to coat.
Cover and cook on lowest setting, 40-50 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
Thinly slice cheese over potatoes, replace lid; cheese will melt...yum.

Ok, so I plated dinner, and took the picture. I told Matt to go ahead and eat, he didn't even sit down; simply grabbed a fork, scooped up some food, then sort of doubled over.
"What's wrong?", I asked, worried.
"This is so good!" came his reply...
"Don't do that again!"

Really nice taters, folks.



We decided not to follow the recipe exactly, as it called for both fresh red chillies and flakes...we couldn't find our red chilli. Oh, well...
Cut chicken into finger-width slices. Puree, till thick and smooth, both chillies, saffron, garlic, mint and olive oil. Pour over chicken (which, hopefully, is in a bowl by now) and let it soak for about half an hour. Cook on a griddle pan, about four minutes per side.

I mostly picked up the mint and lemon from the chicken (by chicken, I, of course, mean Veat), but the spiciness of the chilli came as almost an afterthought.

Good meal; Matt downed his in under five minutes!

That's six recipes from Nigel Slater, and we've been happy with all...

5 Thoughts for food:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Niki said...

I'm thinking Real Food should be next on my list. These recipes are looking fantastic!!!
(Yes, and I've laughed at the 'thickness of a pound coin' thing. I have a vague memory of a pound coin, but not very clearly. It's quite thick for a coin, isn't it?)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Cate said...

What kind of cheese did you use? I'd like to make these this week - they look great!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki, the recipes have been wonderful.

I had no idea what a pound looked like; my only encounter with European money came right after the Euro had been adopted...and it was in Ireland, anyway!

And yeah...that's a pretty hefty coin, indeed.

Sweetnicks; the recipe calls for Taleggio, but Fontina could be used as well.
And they really were great! And I was such a good wife; I let Matt take the left-overs to work...sigh.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Yum, I'm with Niki - I think I need that book.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It hasn't failed us yet. And we only picked out the recipes we could both eat, with little effort required. There were quite a few more we bookmarked 'for company' or 'just for Matt'. I think you'll like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker