Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fritatta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

.



My relationship with onions is...a bit tenuous, I suppose.

I've never really cared for them, but over the years I've come to understand their importance to food, to cooking.

I love the smell of onions cooking in a hot pan; I hate the crunch of an onion.

I appreciate the flavor onions give a dish; I just don't like eating them!

Saturday night, we made a Fritatta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, as well as some fabulously crunchy hash browns.

Looked good, smelled good.

Took the first bite, and...ugh. The onions.

Matt and I agreed there were too many onions. Felt like dozens in every bite!

I actually dissected my fritatta, taking out each and every one.

Flavor=good. Texture=bad.

The fritatta was nice, but next time? Reduce the onions, and cook them a heck of a lot longer!


Blog Party#4: The Holiday Edition is coming soon...entries should be in no later than next Saturday at noon (that would be noon Eastern, US, time); I'll get the round-up posted a week from today!


,

9 Thoughts for food:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm your total opposite: I love onions and I have to integrate them nearly everywhere!!!
I could not live without this basic ingrdient...

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Cate said...

If you can let me slide until Sunday at noon, I'll definitely jump on board for the upcoming Blog Party!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Hmmm, I love onions, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. However, my best friend HATES onions, anytime she comes for dinner, I grate the onions that are to go into the dish. Same great flavor, a lot less crunch. Maybe that would work for you?

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Rosa's yummy yums;

Again, I love what onions can do for a dish. I just hate their texture. So unless they're cooked down to near-transparency, or seriously browned...I can't help but notice them!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks; how about I add you to the round-up a little late?!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Angela; we've actually used the grating technique in the past, and it does make a difference.

But sometimes, a recipe just won't let you get away with it!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I'm not a lover of onions but I do usually use them - I don't use raw though if I can get away with it. I'll pick it out before I eat it.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Joe; I only pick them out if the onions are overwhelming the rest of the dish, or are too large.

But tiny pieces? Cooked down to an almost caramelization? I love it!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey, Franco; thanks so much!

I saw your site...very nice.

However, my blog (as well as my style) is quite retro; I don't think we'd mesh.

but thanks so much for the offer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker