Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Fry Me to the Moon

.



Let's just say I'm not one of the people who's afraid of deep-frying!

Tuesday's dinner: French Fries and Beer Batter Chicken

Small batch frying...not a lot of fun. Before it was all over, I spent almost two hours in front of a pan of hot oil...

Beer battering food is pretty big in my neck of the woods...'restaurants' (again, using that term loosely) even offer it on their menus.

I got this recipe from my Mom, who most likely used it at the Four Seasons, a hotel/restaurant/bar in St. Marys where she was the head cook.

Beat an egg. To this, blend in 12 oz. beer (we used a bottle of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat a friend had left behind). Sprinkle 2 cups of flour, 2 tsps. baking soda, and a bit of salt and pepper on top; beat till (and this is the original wording I was given) whipped-cream like. Do not mix again.

Dip fish or chicken (which has been dried) in the batter, and fry 2 to 3 minutes for fish, 10 for chicken.

I was a little worried when I glanced at the beer bottle...it had been sitting in our laundry room/pantry for months. I mean, cherry?

But while there was definitely a cherry aroma, the batter seemed unaffected by it.

And quite possibly, this was the first beer batter I've eaten that didn't have me saying 'ugh; I can taste the beer!'.


Don't forget to mark your calendar for this month's Blog Party, Vegas, Baby!. We're all about giving in and indulging this time around, so start planning those entries. And remember...it's never too early to submit!


Tagged with
, , ,

2 Thoughts for food:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's just say I'm not one of those who's afraid of eating deep-fried foods! :)

Ooh, I love anything beer-battered. Fish, prawns, chicken, mushrooms, you name it, I want it. Thanks for sharing your recipe, though I'm not sure I can get cherry-flavored beer here!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Nice to have another member of the 'club' stop by!

I grew up with a lot of beer batter; but truthfully, any hops-produced beverage will work. We used the cherry-flavored beer because we don't drink, and that was lying around! I got rid of something (otherwise) useless, and made dinner...two birds, one pot of oil!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker