Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Summer Barbecue Challenge: Kibbeh

.



I know I don't always join the various foodie events out there; most often, I simply can't find the time. But I absolutely had to get involved with the Summer Barbecue Challenge, because Lyn is one of my favorite bloggers.

I really didn't know what to make...we, too, rarely utilize our grill, or experiment much. Then I got one of my various cooking magazines, and found a recipe for kibbeh.

Kibbeh is a major class of dishes throughout the Middle East; typically made from a shell of lamb (ground to a paste), mixed with grain (bulgar or rice can be used), and stuffed with any number of things, and grilled.

I liked the idea, but wanted to play around with it. Then I had a plan: why not combine two of Matt's favorite things? Lamb, and Persian rice.

Whenever I make Persian rice, Matt makes some sort of lamb. Putting them together? Brilliant!


Persian Kibbeh

1/2 lb. ground lamb
3/4 c. basmati rice, cooked and cooled
grated onion
aleppo pepper

Filling:

1/4 lb. ground lamb
water
1/2 c. pistachios, chopped
1/4 c. dill, chopped
finely chopped onion
olive oil, for frying

For shell: Process onion and ground lamb for shell till paste; add rice and knead till firmly smooth. Chill.

For filling: sautee onion, add lamb and cook briefly. Add some water, and cook over low heat until water is evaporate and lamb is brown and crispy. Mix in remaining ingredients; cook briefly and cool.

To form: use small amounts of ground lamb to form football shapes; stuff with filling, seal and grill till desired doneness.

Thanks, Lyn; can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!


Blog Party#10 is less than a week away, and this month we're having a Garden Party! Cute little sandwiches, and that perfect cup of tea...won't you join us? Entries are due 18 May, that's this Thursday....can't wait to see you there!


Tagged with: + + + +

2 Thoughts for food:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

Ooh, ground lamb, sounds yummy.

Did I wish you Happy Mother's Day yet?

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yes you did; thank you! And same to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker