Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, November 10, 2006

The Quintessential Meatloaf

.



Last Friday, I got my copy of Retro Diner from Amazon. That weekend, the Food Network ran a special on Diners and Dives. And, I had both Wartime Wednesdays and Retro Recipe Challenge looming.

I dubbed this week "Retro Week".



I'm a big fan of the 'retro' book series from Collector's Press. Heck, I'm just a fan of Collector's Press. I have most of the books in this series, as well as some of the other books they sell (love Gil Elvgren).

As is our ritual with new cookbooks, I read the recipe names to Matt, and based on his reactions, mark pages to try.

With Retro Diner, we sticky-tabbed quite a few!

While I'll never understand the appeal (maybe it's from eating eight-too-many servings of it growing up), Matt got excited about the many meatloaf recipes included in the book.

Most of them would have been fine, but he really liked the sound of the Quintessential Meatloaf. So that's what I gave him.

Ground round, unseasoned pork and turkey are mixed with sauteed onion, green pepper and garlic; then a mixture of egg, hot sauce, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce are added, and finally, crushed Saltines crackers. Blech. It's been a while since I've had my hands in raw meat like that...shudder.

It's formed into a loaf, the top is spread with ketchup (Heinz, of course), and then covered in bacon. Baked about an hour and a half.

It certainly smelled good, but this is what Matt had to say: "More moist and less cohesive than meatloaf usually is. The green peppers give it a slight tanginess you usually don't find. It's not at all spicy, but tastes as though it should be. Different, but tasty.".




Blogging by Mail, the Holiday Edition, is going on now! Sign-ups will be open until 16 November.









Blog Party#16 is coming, and this month, we're turning our favorite take-out foods into cocktail party fare! Browse those take-out menus, and get your entries to me by Thursday, 16 November...early is always good...by leaving a link here in the comments, or firing off an email to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. Tell a friend, and hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + +

2 Thoughts for food:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

sweet cracker sandwich, are you trying to kill me stephanie? bacon AND meatloaf??? YUM!!!!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey...bacon-toppped 'loaf is very common!

And the answer would be No.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker