Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Daring Bakers: Gingered Bostoni Cream Pie

.



This is my second Daring Bakers challenge, and despite not caring at all for custard/pastry cream, I think they came out pretty well.

This month, we were to make Bostoni Cream Pies...a sort of twist on the Boston Cream Pie.

I was allowed to mess around with the flavors a bit, so I did. For the cake, instead of using orange juice & zest, I opted for ginger juice and crystalized ginger, finely minced. The 'Ginger People' make a pure, bottled ginger juice which is wonderfully potent!

The custard was...well, a pastry cream. I am not exactly fond of them, and Matt? Pastry cream makes him gag. I'm not kidding. Normally, I can get him to taste just about anything, even if it's something he wouldn't normally eat. But there was no way he'd touch this!

Fortunately, my in-law's are extremely fond of Boston cream pie, so after fighting with my camera and lighting, and getting one of the Bostoni's to pose for me (and getting plenty of use out of that spider goblet!), I packed up the rest, in pieces, and Matt drove everything over to his parent's house.

That was last night, and they're only having them for dessert this evening. So, I have to wait for the verdict till then.



But...the cake smelled divine, the 'custard' behaved exactly as I expected, and the chocolate glaze was, after all, just chocolate and butter.

It all came together much faster than I expected, especially as I waited until SUNDAY to make the darn things! Still, I'm always happy to bake, even if it's something I wouldn't normally pick. So, another challenge...met!

Please check out all the other, talented DB'ers, and see how they did.




Tagged with: + + + + + + Ginger + Chocolate + Cake

60 Thoughts for food:

At 1:50 AM, Blogger Anh said...

I love how you flavour them with ginger! It will be good for colder months!

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Ginger! What a clever addition! I love that idea! :)

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Pille said...

Great idea - I'll use ginger chocolate next time, too (if there will be one, of course:)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Karen Baking Soda said...

I second Anh, ginger must taste great in combination!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Marye said...

ginger is a brilliant idea!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger iCook2live said...

WOW Ginger!?! I would have loved to try that. Fantastic idea.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

What a great glass to put your Bostini in!
It's too bad you aren't a fan of custard but I hope your in-laws enjoyed it.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger cookworm said...

Oh my goodness does that look good. I LOVE ginger and also pastry cream. Too bad you are far away as I'd gladly help you get rid of it! :)

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Ginger sounds great with the chocolate and custard. I'm always impressed with the challenges of the Daring Bakers.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Brilynn said...

Nicely done! I love that you used ginger instead and that goblet is great!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Belinda said...

Ginger is always a good thing in my book, and I LOVE the Ginger People! Have you ever tried the Ginger Lime cooking sauce from this company...poured over chicken and then baked, heavenly I tell ya!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

I also waited until Sunday - it seems like there were quite a few people that procrastinated on this one!! This looks gorgeous!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger slush said...

Nice twist using the ginger and it looks so yummy in that glass!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Laura Rebecca said...

I NEVER would have thought to substitute ginger -- great idea! I bet the flavors will complement the cream & chocolate wonderfully.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Nice spider glass. Cant wait for the next challange!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger April said...

Ginger..hmmm, that sounds interesting,and yummy!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Your Bostini looks so pretty in that glass. Nicely done!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Lis said...

Oh man.. ginger and chocolate - perfection!

Stupendous challenge this month, Stephanie! I love it!

xoxo

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Glad you liked the end product of the challenge :) well done!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Jen Yu said...

Great job, it sounds like a resounding success to me! I think ginger would hvae been terrific to try :)

jen at use real butter

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks great! Can't wait to bring out my spices.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Cool serving dish! I think a ginger-laced caked sounds awesome, too.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger breadchick said...

Let's see here you have ginger and vanilla custard! Oh I'm so coming over to your house the next time you make this!! Great job and fun!!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great job! The use of ginger chocolate is very interesting!

Cheers,

Rosa

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Helene said...

Love the ginger substitution...had to be really special! And I absolutely dig that goblet!!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Anh!

Matt is such a ginger fan, and I couldn't leave well enough alone, I guess.

And you're right; that's a very cold-weather combo, isn't it?

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Anne!

I don't have anything against orange; I just wanted to try something different.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Pille, and thanks!

Actually, I only added ginger to the cake (in juice and minced candied form), but flavoring the chocolate with ginger makes sense, too!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, baking soda!

And the nice thing about the ginger, you can easily adjust the amount based on your preference and tolerance level.

Matt loves ginger, but I prefer it as a subtle flavor. For him, I can increase the amount of juice and candy. But if you're like me, you can ease up on the intensity by diluting the juice.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks so much, Marye!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, icook2live!

In my house, it was an easy choice. As I mentioned, my husband lovesloves ginger.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Quellia; thank you!

Halloween is my favorite holiday of all, so I'm always grabbing things to decorate and serve food (you should see the nifty 'haunted house' plates I got for Alex). And I just couldn't figure out what else to put the stuff in!

Yes, they did like it quite a bit. My MIL is a big fan of Boston cream pie, thank goodness!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, April!

You would have been welcome to it, I assure you!

And we could have discussed all the team changes going on in Pittsburgh right now...have you seen Alex's Halloween costume??

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you Lydia!

I agree; the DB'er's are a pretty amazing group. I'm rather proud to be one of them.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Brilynn!

You know me; I just have to play with my food...

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Belinda...no, I don't think I've seen that! But I will definitely keep an eye out for it; I'm sure Matt would love it.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Deborah!

Great minds, and all that...thanks!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Laura Rebecca!

Again, I just have to mess with the flavors. I'm always doing that, and fortunately? Not too many disasters!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Megan!

I'm anxiously waiting for the next one, too...

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Slush!

Seem to have missed you there for a minute; sorry!

I really do like that glass, myself...thanks!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi April!

Well, I know how much my husband likes chocolate-covered ginger...so it was worth a shot!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Andrea!

Now I wish I'd bought more of them...

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Lis!

And thanks again for letting me a part of it.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Anne...the important thing was that my in-laws liked the end result!!

Which they did, thankfully.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Jen, and thank you!!

Love your blog name, btw.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Claire...and with a statement like that, we are clearly kindred spirits!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Julie!

And the cake can be used for so many other things, too...yum.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, breadchick!

And you're always welcome...

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Rosa!

Actually, though, I only added chocolate to the cake. But folding some into the chocolate would be intensely good!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks so much, Helen!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Gabi said...

Hi Stephanie!
Great job with the ginger choc combo! Looks Fabulous as usual!
xoxo

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, thanks Gabi!!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger BC said...

Ginger was an inspired idea.

You definitely are a dedicated Daring Baker for making this if one of your nearest and dearest can't stand pastry cream. Kudos to you!

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, BC!

Well, I'm happy for just about any 'excuse' to bake, so as long as I know someone who'll eat it, I'm game!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Dolores said...

Oooh... I LOVE the spider goblet, and the chiffon cake gone ginger. I HAVE to try that approach soon. The next time I need a 1200 calorie dessert to serve 20... :)

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Dolores!

Oh, isn't it the truth? My MIL, who loves this stuff, has to just pretend she's not eating half a dozen eggs and a cup of cream when served this.

That's some imagination!

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Peabody said...

Ginger...excellent idea.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Peabody!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Can there be anything that's not improved by the addition of ginger? Clever clever clever. And well done on the daring baking - I'm more of a timid baker ;-)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jeanne!

Me, I love any excuse to bake. Sometimes I bake myself into a corner, and take on too much (such as this cake I'm making for Alex's teacher's birthday), but I think I'd go mad if I didn't bake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker