Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Three Going on Thirty

.




Last week, Alex turned the big '3'. Still wrapping my brain around that one...I'm the mother of a three year old? Seriously? How the heck did that happen?

There was food, a cake (not my best work, so no picture), and presents.

Here's some highlights.



A recipe from Martha Stewart's Kids magazine; a pressed sushi with cucumber and cream cheese. Tasty, but definitely needed another flavor...anything would do. But nice texture, and fun to eat.



I made this Mousetrap Mousse last year, as well. This time, I accidentally added twice the amount of cottage cheese, so it didn't hold it's shape. Still, that stuff is good!



There were tiny BLT's; rounds of toasted sourdough bread, leaves from a bag of spring mix, sliced cherry tomatoes, and pieces of bacon. Very tasty.



And a rather amazing pasta salad...and Matt's new favorite.

Sundried tomatoes, pureed with olive oil, garlic and capers, and balsamic vinegar, tossed with fusilli. Add tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes), fresh, cubed, mozzarella, lots of basil and lots of grated Parmesan; toss to mix. The recipe also called for olives, but I since I can't stand 'em, I left them out.

And this is one of the recipes that gets better with age. Days two and three, Matt said it was even better. Simple to make, fairly healthy, and really good.

Alex ate a lot of dip, which is fine. It's fairly healthy, and he ended up eating cucumbers, scallions, avocado and parsley!

I also made chocolate chip cookies, with a 'bite' taken from each; we were having a Cookie Monster party, after all! No picture, for some reason; but they sure were cute.

It was a nice party, and now my 'little' boy is a year older. Can't wait to see what happens next!




Tagged with: , , , , , ,

18 Thoughts for food:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Lakshmi said...

wow, the pasta.my favourite.
your pictures and blog are simply superb.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lakshmi, thank you so much!

The pasta really was wonderful; let me know if you'd like the recipe!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

I love the tiny BLT idea....might have to make those sometime!!

That Birthday picture is pretty stink'-butt'CUTE!!

Love that cheeser!!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Cameradawtor; and thanks!

Well, you know how much I love bite-sized foods. And I think BLT's are one of the great foods of history!

Yes, Alex is a cutie-pie, and he knows how to work a camera!

Don't I owe you that cheesecake ice cream recipe? I'll get it to you soon, promise.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I've made that pasta salad before (if it's the one from BA a few years back)! And yep, it is fantastic. Everything looks lovely!

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B'day Alex!

Looks like a lovely party, Stephanie. My favorite is pasta. Just want to twist a fork in it. Looks yum O.:)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erin, that's the one!


And thanks.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Indira!

The pasta was amazing...

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Happy Birthday Alex - What a feast!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Joe!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Happy birthday, Alex!

So what does a 3-year old get for his birthday these days? What's the hot thing?

Love the idea of "bites" out of each cookie - haha! Very imaginative :)

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jeff!

Here's an idea of what to get a three year old. Basically, it has to keep him busy!

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many best wishes for your son Alex,
with basketful of love
from Ramya and family.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you so much, Ramya!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Fiber said...

The menu looks fantastic. And it appears your 3-year old has some rather gourmet tastes!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Fiber!

And we're lucky...he eats a lot more, and better, foods than we ever did at his age.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Belated Birthday Wishes to Alex.

P.S. The Pasta looks yum.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Spicehut!

Do let me know if you'd like the recipe...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker