Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, March 10, 2006

SHF#17: Decadent Dairy

.



I've missed out on the last couple of 'big' events, so I made that extra effort to fit the latest SHF into my (boring, yet busy) schedule.

And since this month's theme, selected by Spittoon Extra, is dairy, I knew I could have a little fun!

I had all kinds of ideas; I could do something with a triple creme brie, or goat cheese! I could use buttermilk!

And then I got busy (again), and lowered my expectations a bit.

As luck would have it, I caught the final few minutes of an episode of Everyday Italian, with Giada putting the finishing touches on a Chocolate-Ricotta Pie. I was fascinated, based on the liberal 'sprinkling' of pine nuts I saw on the pie!

A crust of flour, cornmeal, sugar, butter and 3/4 cup of toasted pine nuts, topped with a decadent filling of semi-sweet chocolate, ricotta, cream cheese, and eggs. Bake it, then top with and additional 3/4 cup of toasted pine nuts!

When Matt and Alex had dinner at his parent's house, I sent along this pie. The reviews were very positive...my FIL described the flavor as "fudge".

Matt called it a 'grown-up fudge'; not as rich and sugary, but definitely sweet. And it's chocolate-flavored, rather than a chocolate over-load.

I wasn't satisfied, though...I had to make something else.



Wanting desperately to make something with cheese, I turned to a new-favorite cookbook, Claudia Fleming's The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern.

I saw several things I wanted to make (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say I saw things I wanted to eat), but when I spotted a recipe for Cheesecake Ice Cream...that was it. Search over.

As many of you know, I never eat the stuff I bake. I've basically lost my desire for sweet things, and I get my jollies from the actual baking.

Cakes, cookies, pies...doesn't matter. I mix 'em up, bake 'em off, and promptly hand 'em off to everyone and anyone I can find.

But...but...cheesecake?

Oh...cheesecake. One of the few desserts I still love.

And I do mean 'love'. I heart cheesecake!

I also know better than to make it, for any reason. See...if it's in the house? I'll eat it.

The only time I do allow myself that pleasure is when we eat out. And as that only happens every eight weeks or more, cheesecake is not much of a threat.

But I had this idea...what if I took the Cheesecake Ice Cream, and poured it into a mini-graham cracker crust? And then...what if I froze it?

Cheesecake Ice Cream Cheesecakes!

Brilliant.

I have a few miniature springform pans (Ok, I actually have a whole collection of mini pans), into which I pressed a basic graham cracker crumb/sugar/butter mixture (and why does that smell so divine, anyway?), and baked them till golden.

I then made the custard for the ice cream...cream cheese, sour cream, eggs...sugar, vanilla; it was exactly like making ice cream, and cheesecake.

After chilling, and taking a turn in the ice cream maker...I made the mistake of trying the ice cream.

Oh. My. God.

It's...it's, cheesecake. But it's ice cream!

I love it. And now I'm very, very afraid...

May be the best 'cheesecake' I've tasted, and I have three cakes, plus a small container of ice cream, in my freezer.

This is dangerous.

Anyone want to come over????!??




Blog Party 8 has been announced, and this month, we're having Brunch! Turn your favorite breakfast foods into bite-sized treats, and join the party! Your entries are due no later than next Thursday, 16 March; Blog Party is 18 March. Hope to see you there!



Tagged with: , , , , , , ,

9 Thoughts for food:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Stephanie,

"Anyone want to come over????!??"

Don't look at me. I made blood orange pot au creme yesterday to see if it would work for the party Saturday.

It will.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

Oh that cheesecake looks good. No recipe for us?1

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Christine said...

I will be right there!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Maybe we could make a trade, Kevin!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cameradawktor: you want the recipe, just let me know!

It's my own policy to never post professinal recipes on my blog: I have too much respect for the work that goes into making a cookbook. But I'm happy to share them 'over the fence', as it were.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

anytime, Christine!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, Stephanie! I would love, love, love a copy of the ice cream recipe, please.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Andrew, and there's plenty left...

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Tania...and if you send an email to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com, I'd be happy to share the recipe with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker