Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Riding the Red Tractor

.

One of the many lovely places to eat along College Avenue, in Oakland, is the Red Tractor Cafe.

A very old-fashioned feel about the place; their menu was what I'd expect a farmer's wife, circa 1930, would have served...which means there was very little on the menu I could eat!

But the Red Tractor has great atmosphere, and serve breakfast foods, so I was usually safe.

Sometimes, I'd order a side of the garlic mashed potatoes...simply because they were that good!
And I don't think I've had a better cheddar biscuit anywhere else.

But something I'd often get there was a green apple, candied walnut and bleu cheese salad.

Fantastic!

Big, leafy salad, chunks of bright green apple, a flavorful cheese, and candied nuts scattered all over.

So, in my effort to keep the kitchen under 75 degrees this week, I recreated the Red Tractor Cafe's salad, as best I could.



Mixed greens, green apple, cubed Gorgonzola, and candied pecans...pecan halves coated in a sugar and balsamic vinegar syrup, then baked ten minutes. Fantastic! They're practically candy.
A nice, light dressing of lemon juice, mustard, shallot, fresh thyme and olive oil drizzled on top.

Add some grilled mustard chicken, and a cheddar biscuit (!), and you have a very nice, homey, meal. (Griddle pan for the chicken, which didn't take long, and the biscuits cooked in under fifteen minutes)

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker